Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Randomly stalls and dies, no matter how fast/slow I'm going

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lost4444

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Randomly stalls and dies, no matter how fast/slow I'm going Reply with quote

Ok, so I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 196,000 miles on it. I know that is a lot, but it has driven fine for all of the years that we've owned. I'm a new driver, this is my parents car, and it ran fine for them. I drive the car primarily now, and it just recently started this problem. Most of the time it does it in traffic, but it's also done it when I was going down the freeway at 60 mph, and it's starting to scare me. I'll just be going along, and the engine will just turn off and I have to put it into neutral, start it back up, and put it back into drive. I love this car and I don't want it to die, but I'm afraid it will do it when I'm going through an intersection or pulling in front of other cars. It does it at least once a day, and my dad replaced all of the fuses, but that doesn't fix it. Please help us!
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crank Sensor
chiphazard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Randomly stalls and dies, no matter how fast/slow I'm going Reply with quote

after changing the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, TPS, and IAC, on my 97 JGC 4.0 liter with stalling problems, my next change is the crank sensor. Can someone give me some advice on how to do this? I don't even know where the crank sensor is. I have been told that it is on the bell housing. To get to it, go you go through the engine compartment or from below? Thanks in advance for any advice.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on mine it was on the drivers side bell housing held in with a 10mm bolt, once you find it under the hood, fairly easy it has wires going to it, get a LOOOOONNNG extension,lay under the jeep,and take the bolt out replace the sensor and reverse the process
Bishops Finger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O2 Sensor?
dave_g_WJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got any trouble codes out of it (Engine light on etc)?
Tardis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the cam sensor(pick-up coil) in the distributor. They become intermittent with heat and age. As mentioned above the crank sensor will create the same driveability problems. It too becomes intermittent with heat and age.
chiphazard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: randomly stalls Reply with quote

I have not checked the cam sensor, this needs to be added to the list. I should also mention, that the fluctuating RPM's (300-600) do not start until the Jeep is warmed up for 3-4 minutes, then it starts going up and down. Does this added information point to any particular situation? Thanks.
chiphazard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: fluctuating rpm's & stalling Reply with quote

code did come up on the crank position sensor, and I had the CPS changed.
Jeep is still having RPM's jump between 300-600 RPM's, which brings it close to stalling when it hits 300. If the heater/ac/defrost is off, it does not seem to effect the RPM's. If you turn the heat on (yes, we need heat in Michigan in November), this seems to start the RPM's jumping up and down. Any other ideas as I have replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap, TPS, CPS, IAC. This is starting to get expensive.
chiphazard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Learned a valuable lesson Reply with quote

Learned a valuable lesson today. I finally broke down and took the Jeep to the dealer, as it was unsafe to drive (random stalling & fluctuating rpm's) and sitting in the driveway for the last month as I waited for a mircale cure from the internet forum here.
The dealer diagnosed it as a bad IAC. I had cleaned the throttle body and replaced the IAC first, with a non-Mopar (discount) part. Since this did not fix the Jeep, I then moved on to the TPS and CPS. It was the IAC all along, but I was trying to get by with a cheaper part. I ended spending $150 in other parts, and $210 for the dealer to diagnose and change the cheap IAC for the Mopar IAC. At least it is back on the road again.
While at the dealer, the dealer told me that I need a new track bar and inner ball joint. The quote was $500. Does this sound right?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Track bar????? What the duece??

Change the ball joint yourself and save $450 And Grease the track bar..

On a side note.. I was thinking IAC all along I have gotten crappy ones from Auto Zone.. I usually keep a spare one in my Rig.. So if I have problems I just swap them out see what happens.. If it clears the problem up I buy a new one to keep for a spare..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: