Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MODS!! PERFORMANCE AND GEARS/LOCKERS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: MODS!! PERFORMANCE AND GEARS/LOCKERS Reply with quote

hey jeep heads! i am so positively sure that this has been done a couple hundred times....BUT with all the new users joing daily i figured it could'nt hurt to get a fresh one out there. NOW COME ON GUYS GO NUTS!!! i want yall to spill your guts on every performance mod w/ specific names of products prices where to buy and what the gains are aswell as the best gears/lockers for the zj. growin up i always thought detroit locker was the shit but now i hear that they are shit so please all you guys out there that make my mouth drool when you drive by cuz you are soo far ahead of me in building my jeep LET ME KNOW WHAT IS UP! what is good what is crap i could go on and on. i want lockers front and back..da. and headers to super chargers what ev... i just wanna build a nice list for a good refernece for me and other jeepers... ROCK ON FELLAZ!!!

Last edited by DankNesS on Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id havent had any experience with lockers but i wouldnt spend too much money in the d35 once you break it all that money is gone because you will need a bigger axle to handle what you are throwing at it

if you have the time, money, and skills id swap the rear for an 8.8

again you make the post sound like you have some money to dump so I'd go with a front bumper and a winch

im sure others with chime in as well

as far as the motor goes free up the exhaust flow is a plus, you could do an intake but some dont recomend it if you wheel a lot
DankNesS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ford 8.8?? wouldnt i have to get a new transfer case? or am i thinkin of a ford 9 inch... shit i think i am.. the 8.8 is that better then a danna 60?? and naw bro i am no bags of money its a slow build.. finnally got 3.5 inch lift and 31s but it will be a min before i get locked... i just want a nice list to come peep when ever i am in the market so just share what you got and how you like it..
Green Mountain ZJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the search button.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY THANKS! i know about the search button but i was trying to get some NEW responses with NEW people doing and using different things and brands... so if any one would like to share go ahead... if not then i will just search as recomended
nixt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you say that you had a Dana 35 or aluminum Dana 44HD as your rear axle? The only upgrades for the 44HD are different gears and the Aussie Locker is the only aftermarket locker available for the 44HD. I'd shoot for the 8.8 as a swap because you can get selectable limited slip/locker like Auburn Gear's Ected. But it'll be difficult to get the ABS to work with a different axle.
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah ive been looking at the 8.8 now and think it is the way to go fo show! the limeted slip/locker you mentioned does this mean it is locked and you can unlock it to limited slip??? or what is the deal? wouldnt just a regular locker that always locked be better for the rear?
nixt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Auburn ECTED limited slip/locker is has a switch that you can hit that will lock the axle just like any other selectable locker with the exception that most selectable lockers will run as an open diff and the ECTED will run as a limited slip when it's not locked. It's like the locker on the rear axle of the Jeep Rubicon. You wouldn't want to run with your axle locked on the street since it will increase axle wear, tire wear, and your turning radius- not to mention that it would make a lot of noise from your tires. This is because when you are making a turn each of your tires travel a different distance and at different speeds.

www.auburngear.com

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a sick locker! i am really strongly leaning toward an 8.8 axle... is there any reason/reasons an 8.8 is better then a danna 60? wouldnt the 60 go in easier? is it just the after market for the two? i have a 93 zj and im wandering if all 8.8's have leaf springs? my zj is all 4 coil springs and id like to keep the coils as im lifted 3.5 and when i want to go higher after i get the new control arms and dd i can swap the front to the back so i only have to buy 7 inch springs for the front. do explorers come with springs on the back? do they line up with my springs? can it be done?
nixt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to have to do custom work on any axle- 60 or 8.8 unless you have it built to your specifications by an axle builder or shop (or buy one from a place like Currie). The springs in the front and rear of the ZJ are entirely different from each other. They have different spring rates, number of coils, and overall diameter. Remember that the front end is heavier due to the weight of the engine so I wouldn't want to try to fit front springs in the rear. You could get adjustable spacers in the front to deal with the amount of lift front-to-rear. I wouldn't want to deal with leaf springs or explorer springs at all. If the rear 8.8 is set up correctly, a ZJ long arm lift kit would definitely be the way to go. First search the forum for "ford 8.8 swap" -then do a search on google as well. The differences between the 8.8 and 60 are things like pinion height and the offset of the differential. If you search online, you can find the specs for all of the different applications of the dana 60 and the ford 8.8 and the differences in the axles in those applications.

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some have done a front to rear swap where they replace the rear springs with their old front springs and buy new front springs

the dana 60 will need a lot of work like he said, unless you dont mind hte tires sticking out past the body it will need to be cut down, then have custom shafts ordered for the new axle width

as for the 8.8 no you wouldnt need a new shaft or tcase just take the yoke that bolts to the 8.8 diff off the shaft from the donor vehicle and mate it you your shaft

the 8.8 your goin to have to relocate the shock mounts and weld on spring perches, i also think that it is a shade too narrow so wheel spacers may be necessary
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a bunch guys!!! Mr. Green that was some great info! i have been researching online and through the forums.. the search through the forum can be kinda tough so thanks a bunch you guys.

I ALREADY HAVE DONE THE SWAP!!! rofl and i love it!!! PLUS what a money saver!! i bought 3.5 inch RE springs for the front and threw the old front springs in back with a one inch spacer.. SO i will throw my 3.5 front spings in the back so with the spacer it will be about 7in in back and i jus gotta buy new front springs instead of all for- when the time comes to go higher

till then i want to start building a rear end and it seems the 8.8 is the way to go.... so explorers and mountainers over 95 or 97 for disc brakes right?(which would be TIGHT ive wanted to convert for a minute but it is waxing...a better axle with discs??? YES!)
does anyone know of a certain year or model with coil springs? or would i just have to do a bit of grinding/welding? take off the leaf mounts on the 8.8 and take off my old dana coil mounts and weld them to the 8.8? how much of a wheel spacer is needed? is this customary? it doesnt effect anything?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: