Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newb lift question(s)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mission

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: newb lift question(s) Reply with quote

Currently I have a teraflex BB (spring spacers & extended shackles) which is rated at 2" but actually it's about 1.5". I want to get the RE 3.5" lift kit with full leaves and springs (no spacers or extended shackles). If I wanted to add these kits together to achieve close to if not over 5" I will probably need a T-case drop for now (SYE later). Will I need any other components reguarding steering and/or drivetrain? Do you have any advice for me? I wanna fit 33's (if possible). I'll be doing some major trimming when I do get this kit (hopefully march). Heres the RE kit:

I believe that it doens't come with coil spring spacers, but if it does i'll opt to not get those and instead get longer springs, so I can add my coil spring spacers.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for being ignorant. Shocked
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Scott, that kit is full springs...it will not come with spacers or shackles. So you can use your existing ones. It sounds like a good plan. You'll need shocks (of course), and you'll have to drop the t-case a minimum of 1.5" if not 2" or more...it depends on how much lift you end up netting.

As a general rule you want to keep the lift in relation to the t-case around 3"...so if you net 5" of lift you should drop the t-case 2".

As far as 33's...you can probably do it. You'll have to hack the hell out of you're fenders and get some nice long bumpstops...but it can be done. I would not go over 32's with that setup, myself...but that's me. I would also wait until I had the money for the SYE and go with the RE 5.5" super flex kit along with the spacer and shackles and net like 7". Then I'd slap on 33's...but again...that's me... Mr. Green

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
b(k)ill94xj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with phantom your going to have to do some hacking to get 33 in there. also drop your transfer case 2 inchs is going to really kill the point to lifting the vehicle. if you want to go that high your going to need a SYE. did you also think about what size backspacing you are going to need to fit 33x12.50 under your jeep?? Lifting that much contains alot of work. before you get set on it research it more.

if i were you i would save up and get a lift kit that is big enough for what you want, it will be a nicer ride and safer.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b(k)ill94xj wrote:
i agree with phantom your going to have to do some hacking to get 33 in there. also drop your transfer case 2 inchs is going to really kill the point to lifting the vehicle. if you want to go that high your going to need a SYE. did you also think about what size backspacing you are going to need to fit 33x12.50 under your jeep?? Lifting that much contains alot of work. before you get set on it research it more.

if i were you i would save up and get a lift kit that is big enough for what you want, it will be a nicer ride and safer.

Good call on the backspacing...I forgot that Scott has stock rims on his XJ.

Scott - The reason that dropping the t-case that much defeats the point of lifting is 'cause it exposes it more. It's much more likely to hang up on a something (like a rock)...or worse yet, get damaged. I'm not sure if you could even get a skid on there with that much of a drop.

If I were you I would wait...we all have inchitus dude, but don't rush to go higher at the expense of doing it right. An SYE is not required for the height you want to gain, but it is HIGHLY recommended.

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mission

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright i did some homework, which I should have done before, but better late than never.

I found this Advanced Adapters SYE + a Tom Wood's driveshaft @ redrock4x4.com for $515. That seams pretty cheap, considering the RE hack&tap for the NP231 is $160 and that doesn't include a new drive shaft. Is this for real? And is this what I would need in terms of driveline complications due to the lift I'd like to get?

Link
http://www.redrock4x4.com/tom_woods/index.html
Picture

So for current total:
RE6030 3.5" Super Flex - $620
DT34 Doetsch Tech 3000's - $125
AA SYE + TW DS - $515

That's 1260 right there. Ouch.
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, I want to say that lockedup has about the same setup that you are planning, you might want to PM him.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.. And he is about to sell most of his front stuff... He is going leaf spring in the front... Good time to buy... Mr. Green Mr. Green

Someone else is interested I think but I will find out...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Leaf Springs won the War....again. Wink

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEhehe... .

He said the death wobble won the war .. So he is surendering to the leaf.. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mission

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought locked had the 5.5" lift?

On another note - he was considering fabbing up a new bumper, and possibly selling his BPI unit. He said he'd inform me if he was going to sell it, do you guys know the news on that? I'm thinking the bumper would be a birthday gift to myself Smile
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just talked to him tonight... He hasnt started on the swap yet..
Didnt know about the bumper but I will ask next time I see him... (Or talk to him)
Its a super nice bumper .. I have seen it in action quite a few times..
Very Nice... Mr. Green

swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just talked to him tonight... He hasnt started on the swap yet..
Didnt know about the bumper but I will ask next time I see him... (Or talk to him)
Its a super nice bumper .. I have seen it in action quite a few times..
Very Nice... Mr. Green

kacon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mission wrote:

That's 1260 right there. Ouch.

Welcome the world of making a really XJ. I haven't calculated the amount of cash I sunk into my grocery getter but I think I could have paid it off by now.

As for what you are looking at. I would save your cash up to get 5.5 RE kit. The reason is because I was in your shoes. I started off with a 3" Rusty's kit and 31's I wheel the crap out of it and was ready to move on to bigger and better with in a 1.5 year. So by then I ended up blowing away around 800 or so that could have went into the 5.5 lift.

5.5 vs 4.5 and the budget boost.

1. At this height you have to think about steering. HD Trac-bar w/ mount. HD Tie rod, Sway bar mount extender, Etc...
2. You have to think about pinion angles. The 5.5 have the drop brackects and new control arms. (I would upgrade to adjustable ones)
3. Brake lines you will need to extend the front and rear lines.
4. Shackles for the rear. I am all about them. It gives you more movement of the suspension. (but that is me...)
6. You have full coil spring in the front. Some people say that the spacers give the springs more stress and wears them out quicker. (I guess the mythbusters should do a show on that.) But full spring gives me an added feeling of safety on the highways.
5. If you do not want to trim no problem. if you do want to trim you can easily fit 35's with TJ flares...

Everything above is part of the 5.5 kit. the 3.5 and 4.5 have some of the components but not all.

Now the other's list for reach the point of 33's or 35's:

SYE - you already addressed the need. I would stay away from TC drops. In the long run they can damage you drivetrain.
Shocks- It is users choice. I went with Rancho's 9000's adj. and JKS bar pin elminators and shock conversion kit. So I have Eye holes all around.(Very happy I did my reasch for about a month on shocks.) Rides really good.
Swaybar Disconnects - I would upgrade to JKS disco.. easily adj. and easier to connect and discount.. (That is my opinion.)
Regearing- 33's or 35's you will need to look into that. 33's-4.10 / 35's - 4.56 or 4.88
Axles - If you keep the Dana 30 in the front think of a locker to help the stress of wheeling it. I locked the front and it does help a lot... As for the rear it depends on the axle.

Sorry to scare the living crap out of you now. but I figured I will help you out on your homework. I did have help but it wasn't as much as I wanted to get. So if you have any questions just ask away... I will try to reply ASAP. (Kind of bad at the ASAP part.) And if you want to see the Heep check the link in my sig..

And as for the "Sorry for being ignorant.", I don't see it at all... you would have been "ignorant" not asking... It is better to ask away because it is all of cash to make a kick'n Grocery Getter.

Sorry for the long post but I figured it would impress 'drack that I can be useful Mr. Green Mr. Green

Your welcome Mission

Kevin
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just get a sawzall and go to town, taking a sawzall to a XJ to make bigger tires fit is fun
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.... I am about to cut more of my fender off... Mr. Green

Got a set of TJ flares and I am going to cut everything that they dont cover... About 3.5 inches of fender in the front.. Shocked
And close to that in the back... OF course back is coming off the top... I cant cut the fender well any more without cutting my doors... Mr. Green
Same as always .. Ill post pics...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: