Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

86 Cherokee Pioneer Rear Hatchback Lock/Latch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpizzle77

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: 86 Cherokee Pioneer Rear Hatchback Lock/Latch Reply with quote

Hello,
My 1986 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer has a broken rear hatchback lock. The door won't stay closed (I have to strap it down), and if I try locking it fom the outside with the key, it won't re-open unless I open it bu using the inside handle. I am new to jeeps, so I need help! Ok here it is:

1.) Will simply changing the outside lock cylinder fix the problem, or do I have to change the handle mechanism as well?
2.) Are they 2 separate pieces/entities (The lock cylinder and the indside handle), or is it 1 single unit?
3.) Where can I find the parts I need other than the dealership or the auto parts store (The auto parts store didn't have it, referred me to the dealer & the dealer charged $111 for the LOCK CYLINDER alone!, NO way am I going for that)? Anyone know of any good wrecking yards who will ship nationwide, or that are in the Northwest? Or of any good websites with the part(s) I need?

Please help! Thanks a-lot! Finger -Jonathan
jpizzle77

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BY, not "bu" (spelling typo, my bad)
jeep_thrasher88

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just try going to a lock smith and see what they say.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: parts Reply with quote

Lots of salvage yards ship now. Some are on E-bay but you can find others though Google. You might want to get front door locks to match the rear assembly so you don't have an extra key. On second thought, I think the lock cylinder is seperate from the mechanism and the bottom of the door. You need to take the cover off the door and look it over, it may just need cleaning/lubing, adjusting or a new spring.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
jpizzle77

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more ideas anyone? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: