Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XJ recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brent bartman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: XJ recommendations Reply with quote

first off im a college kid looking to get into some off roading so im on a budget. i have a 91 XJ 4X4. it has the 4.0 HO.i want to go with 6.5 inchs but cant decide if i want to go with the rustys kit or the roughcountry, and is long arm something i should look into right off the bat. i plan keeping it in some mild trails nothing more for a while not untill i kno what she'll do so that brings up to questions do i want an SYE and CV drive shaft from the get go or can i do with out them untill i can afford them.
majikxms

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion if you're on a tight budget you shouldn't be getting 6.5 inches of lift. More lift = a greater cost and with more lift you will have to get a SYE regardless of year which adds cost. Go with a smaller lift, avoid the cutting and grinding and the cost of more parts and still have a great time wheelin the crap put of it. You mentioned mild trails...you don't need a big lift for mild trails.
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't slap on a huge lift and then see what your XJ can do. You start out stock, add some good tires, armor and recovery points, and work your way up from there. You'd be amazed what all a stock Cherokee will do. You have to learn how to drive it before you lift it.

And like majikxms said, if you're a college student (which I am as well), then it is true you are on a budget. After saying that, a 6-6.5" lift is friggin' expensive! Besides the lift, you have to factor in: tires, regearing, sye & cv, steering upgrades... The list goes on. Not to mention you still need the necessities, which goes back to my previous paragraph: armor and recovery points.

Hope this helps, we just want you to hone in on your driving skills, so you can rely on them and not your equipment.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
brent bartman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright so sye and cv drive shaft is a must, alright and about the 6.5 inchs and 33's thats kinda me wanting a bad looking cherokee on 6" and 33's - so im thinking after i learn to drive it ill go with like a 4 inch rustys or 32s maby 33 but whats a good tire so start off with with a stock suspension???
majikxms

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a 2" Budget Boost, 30" or 31" tires (31 if you want to cut your fenders), maybe replace your rear leaf packs, throw in some armor if you have left over money after the tires and then wheel the frickin piss out of it. You'll spend less than $500 if you do it on a budget, you'll learn how to wheel the beast and when you do go 6.5" with 35's and you break everything on the trail you'll already have an idea how to fix it. I know that sounds negative, but look on the bright side, I am positive you'll break stuff. rofl Have fun!!!
brent bartman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i kno ill break stuff thats already planned but thanks for the help whats a good tire recomendation??
brent bartman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did some talking down at the offroad shop and my orgianal plans was for a 3 inch rustys add a leaf untill a guy in the store said he had a 4.5 " rustys spring kit brand new in his garage he bought it and was gonna lift his cherokee and totalled it a few weeks later and said heck with it and has let it sit in his garage but any how he sold it to me for 350 so i guess luck decieded on my lift...ill probably wait untill i get and SYE and CV drive shaft to install it im thinking i might run 33 BFG AT's but ill post pictures as soon as im done....thnks
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job on getting that deal! You may have to trim the fenders a tad bit with the 33's. Not sure though. You'd be able to fit 32's no prob though. Depends on the manufacturer and what the actual dimensions of the tires are.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
tomynoks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go cheaper as far as the SYE and CV go too..... from talking to these guys on Jeep Horizoins and the guys over at 4 Wheel Parts.. every Cherokee is different. The manager of 4WP has a 4.5" lift. a 1" T-case drop and axle shims (not sure what degree) and his is fine... others need the SYE/CV w/ a 3.5" lift. I have a 3.5" lift with a 1" t-case drop and it's ok... but I'm getting a Tom Woods CV drive line soon.. then I won't have to worry about it for later lifts...
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
jeep_thrasher88

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as fare as tires go if you are not going to do anything to serious then you should go with a 33" X 12.5 bfg mud terrain. those with look bad ass and they last forever, i have had a set on my pickup for about 6 or 7 years and they still got some tred on them.
brent bartman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkl the 33 M/T reek havoc on my wheel wells or should i go with like a 31 and get the most articulation out of my suspension
tomynoks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the tires size/lift chart here:

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1423
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
jeep_thrasher88

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have 31's on my jeep now and i have been having clearence issues but i would say with somthing that does not rub.
935speedxj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomynoks wrote:
You can go cheaper as far as the SYE and CV go too..... from talking to these guys on Jeep Horizoins and the guys over at 4 Wheel Parts.. every Cherokee is different. The manager of 4WP has a 4.5" lift. a 1" T-case drop and axle shims (not sure what degree) and his is fine... others need the SYE/CV w/ a 3.5" lift. I have a 3.5" lift with a 1" t-case drop and it's ok... but I'm getting a Tom Woods CV drive line soon.. then I won't have to worry about it for later lifts...

on that note of havein to get a new cv drive shaft you can simply use a stock ( cherokee ) front driveshaft in place if a new on that will save you about 250$ from a junk yard my buddy jay did this an it is workin very well an he is running about 6-7 inches of lift an 33's hope this helps out~ phil
93 cherokee 9 inch lift 6.5inch leafs 1.5 inch shackles 8.5 inch coils an lca's ..,jks disco's,front an rear steel tube bumpers ,an roof rack that i welded up an a bunch of metal that i cut off.... not to mention my wanna be wrangler doors ....
tomynoks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a front driveshaft on the rear???
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: