Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newb with a 91 xj!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubbleJ's

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Newb with a 91 xj! Reply with quote

Whats up guys just joined the forum, Im in the process of buying a '91 XJ 4.0L off my pops and plan to do a lift/tire combo pretty quick.
Ive got a few questions and more just looking for advice. I was to do roughly a 4" lift with 31-33" tires. As of now I will only have enough $$ for that, hopefully... Confused
I dont want to get too deep into it right away, will a 4" lift be ok without a TC drop? Or should I go with a slightly smaller lift? What the biggest tires youve stuffed in without major cutting of the fenders?
Ive done lots of reading through these forums, but a little more info would help. Oh, and Im a Honda guy so pardon me if my knowledge is lacking Razz

Heres a pic of the XJ, sagging rear suspension and all lol

and here's the honda, the jeep will take over this once the snow falls
pipxj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 4" you will more than likely need a slip yoke eliminator. My advice, if it's worth anything, don't do anything until you can afford to do it the right way. You'll spend less in the long run than if you buy a piece here and there. You also won't break stuff under normal conditions if you do it right the first time.
dubbleJ's

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i found a lift kit that I can afford...

ProComp 3" with leaf packs, coils and shocks for $675 CAD tax and shipping included.

Anyone have input on this deal or Procomp parts??
brent bartman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to Rustysoffroad.com they have every thing from .75 inch coil spring spacers to 8 inch long arm kit check em out its nothing but jeeps pretty BAd arse.
gtouimet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally the older XJs can handle more lift without a SYE. Mine is also a 91. I was able to run a 5" lift with a tranny drop for quite some time. I proceeded to a 6.5" which was when I started feeling some vibes and had to go with a SYE. I also this past weekend installed a 4" on my brother's 2001 XJ. I through a tranny drop on it just to be safe, with zero vibes. When he has saved up enough for a SYE we will install one on his and in time jack it up to a 5.5" and give it lots of flex. I am sure you have heard this before, but every jeep reacts differently to lifts. So in all honesty, you might need one and you might not. Luckily for you, you have a second rig to dive in case something happens. If you are going to go with the procomp 3", I'd say put it on and if it shakes, drop the tranny. Good luck!
dubbleJ's

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies. Im waiting anothe little while to see if I can find some local parts for cheaper but if not Im going to order the procomp 3".

As for rusty's I already looked into their 3" lift kit but once its all said and done and shipped to me in canada it will be over $800 CAD....
tomynoks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the RE6030 3.5" ..It has full rear leaf's front springs, quick disconnects.. everything minus shocks.. Retail is $720.00 .. but if you shop around and ASK for a better price.. you'll get one. Don't buy online unless shipping is free. I bought mine from www.jeepinjoes.com I did not ASK for a better price, but he does ship for free. Two weeks later I got a quote for $569.00... but I can't remember who that was. [/code]
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
tomynoks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.performanceoffroadcenter.com

Call these guys and ASK for a price.....
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: