Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sway bar Disco's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Sway bar Disco's Reply with quote

I'm looking into getting a Christmas gift for myself, Sway bar disconnects are relative inexpensive suspension upgrade I know, But witch one would be considered the best.
My boss has a complete 6" Teraflex system along with the TF disco's on his TJ, but he also told me that there all disco's are about the same, with the exception of higher suspension lifts.
I've seen the JKS disco's, and I like there design. The connectors look beefy. But judging by the pic in the Wright up in the tech section, the top "U" mount looks kinda odd, like that would be the weak point.
Has anyone had the bolt that goes thru the "U" mount loosen up?

Your comments and experiences are greatly appreciated.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, one of mine loosened. I'm not sure it was tightened correctly when installed and lock-tite used.
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned mine for just over three years. NO PROBLEMS.

However with that said I would suggest you purchase a better zerk fitting than the one supplied with the JKS's. The zerk used by them, cheaper I think, does not have the ball check that prevents the grease from squirting backwad through the zerk, making a mess during maintenance. And besides, those little red zerk covers don't don't last forever!

If you'll take the time to properly install them, I believe you'll love'em.
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
JPFreek1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. The JKS quicker disconnects are awesome and definitely the best and least inexpensive four-wheeling upgrade out there. I've actually got an extra set of quicker discos by Rubicon Express if you're interested. They're used but work nicely, though will only work on a lifted TJ. Let me know if you're interested and I'll let you know what I'm asking. Otherwise, all the input thus far on the discos is accurate. Good luck!
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Agreed. The JKS quicker disconnects are awesome and definitely the best and least inexpensive four-wheeling upgrade out there. I've actually got an extra set of quicker discos by Rubicon Express if you're interested. They're used but work nicely, though will only work on a lifted TJ. Let me know if you're interested and I'll let you know what I'm asking. Otherwise, all the input thus far on the discos is accurate. Good luck!

I one day I hope to lift my TJ, but right now it's a stock height.
I think I'll hold out for the JKS's
Thanks for all the info...

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
Quote:

I one day I hope to lift my TJ, but right now it's a stock height.
I think I'll hold out for the JKS's
Thanks for all the info...

Remember we're talking about the Quicker Disconnects too! Very Happy
They do make others.
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are other brands of disconnects. But I.M.O., I like the spherical ends for the articulation. polyurethane sucks for flex, and no matter how much you grease them they squeak making your rig sound like a clapped out P.O.S.

If there are other manufactures that have spherical ends in the same price range, I'd like to know...but JKS is the only one that I know of.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
I know there are other brands of disconnects. But I.M.O., I like the spherical ends for the articulation. polyurethane sucks for flex, and no matter how much you grease them they squeak making your rig sound like a clapped out P.O.S.

If there are other manufactures that have spherical ends in the same price range, I'd like to know...but JKS is the only one that I know of.

How much flexing in the swaybar joints do you think there will be with the bar connected???? It is virtually none.
quadna71

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
TJ Apex wrote:

How much flexing in the swaybar joints do you think there will be with the bar connected???? It is virtually none.

i agree. there's little to no flexing with them connected anyways. also, i've never had a problem with squeaking on mine. maybe there wasn't grease in them?
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine has has Fabtech arms on his Toyota and they squeak like a S.O.B. We put a couple zerks in and greased them, (because they didn't have them) peterolium based or synthetic grease it didn't matter they made noise.

As far as flex, I don't like "binding" on anything. I wouldn't buy suspension arms with poly because they don't flex freely. They're basicly binding the arms and giving you a harsher ride. I'd rather have the factory rubber, it flexes more.

I'd make my own discos and suspension arms if I had a welder and a mill.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh what does arms have to do with Discos?

I have the JKS quick discos on my XJ and the Rubicon Express Gen2's on my TJ. I really like the beefiness of the JKS ones. If I was to switch or change my height I would go with the JKS's.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kizer wrote:
Uh what does arms have to do with Discos?

Nothing, I was just pointing out that poly bushings on any suspension component.....sucks. Wink

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
U.S.MarineLJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have RE Gen II discos. They are often a PITA to connect/disco. Hence why I have a Currie Anti-Rock sitting in my garage awaiting installation. The tradeoff is more body roll during onroad driving, however most people swear by the Currie. It is however a bit more money but not having to disco and reconnect will be nice. Everytime I go out I have to bounce on the bumper while someone else connects the swaybars. My personal recommendation, Currie, or any of the other swaybars that are air or electic actuated. Hell, Terraflex my an S/T sway bar that connects/diconnects with a switch of a large knob, very high speed low drag. Don't rule these types of sway bars out of the running until you have examined them.

John
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.S.MarineLJ wrote:
I have RE Gen II discos. They are often a PITA to connect/disco. Hence why I have a Currie Anti-Rock sitting in my garage awaiting installation. The tradeoff is more body roll during onroad driving, however most people swear by the Currie. It is however a bit more money but not having to disco and reconnect will be nice. Everytime I go out I have to bounce on the bumper while someone else connects the swaybars. My personal recommendation, Currie, or any of the other swaybars that are air or electic actuated. Hell, Terraflex my an S/T sway bar that connects/diconnects with a switch of a large knob, very high speed low drag. Don't rule these types of sway bars out of the running until you have examined them.

John

You're talking about two entirely different setups. The Antirock is an offroad swaybar. It's not really intended to be used on a daily driver or other vehicle that sees a significant amount of road time. Is it done? Absolutely, including myself.

The Teraflex S/T system is a fancy swaybar disconnect. It's an overpriced set of swaybar discos and nothing more. It has not additional benefit to vehicle handling and performance while offroad.

The best setups out there are the dual rate swaybars, like the ORO SwayLock or the Full Traction Rok-N-Lok. Tera also has a dual rate coming out but I'd recommend the ORO or FT units longer before the Tera. FT and ORO worked with the original designer and licensed the technology legally. Tera copied it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: