Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Head Gasket Replacement Cost

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarheel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Head Gasket Replacement Cost Reply with quote

I was just told by a mechanic that I may need to have the head gasket replaced. Any ideas on what the typical cost on that is. I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport, 4.0 Liter.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About $1200-$1500, depending on how much they charge for labor.

Good news though, if you're decently skilled with simple hand tools you can do it yourself and save almost the entire price. Whenever you get the work done (by yourself or by mechanic) be sure to check the freeze plugs while you're down in the engine. If they look bad (and quite possibly could depending on the weather where you are) you might as well replace them while you're digging around in the engine.

Anyway, point being, if you're decent with some hand tools, you can do it yourself (like I did) I saved over $1100 doing it myself.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
tarheel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I'm decent with the tools, I've just never done it and it scares me what I could screw up that will cost even more to fix when i have to take it to a mechanic. I assume a Chilton/Haynes manual will guide me?
jeep_thrasher88

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree do it yourself, it is not as hard as you would think. All I had was a chilton and no clue. but I ended up taking it appart in a day and putting it back together the next. you just need to make sure the head does not need to be machined, and hope it does not blow out your bottom end after you put it back together.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your jeep has ever overheated, get the head machined anyway. I made that mistake the hard way.

Also, I would recommend a Factory Service Manual. I don't know much about the others but the FSM goes into extreme detail and won't steer you wrong.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
cherokee_pioneer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,

i own a 1990 XJ with the 4.0.
i had replaced the head gasket once before when replacing the cam and lifters and had not gotten the head surfaced. about a half a year after doing this i had steam coming out of my tail pipe.

after taking the head off again i took it to the machine shop and was told that it was warped. put it back on and never had another problem with it.

if you take the head off, make sure you have it machined. it will save you alot of grief in the long run. Wink
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto (again).

Both me and 2 of my uncles have done the same thing. Taken it off, put it back on and had to take it off again to get it machined.
tarheel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. As it turns out the cylinder is cracked so I'll be replacing that. I was surprised to see that the estimate on a reconditioned head is only about $400.
tarheel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to say the "cylinder head" is cracked in the above post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: