Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to my jeep and dont know how to use my four wheel drive.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shwstpr88

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: New to my jeep and dont know how to use my four wheel drive. Reply with quote

I have a 2001 cherokee with four wheel drive. With the poor weather coming up i want to use the four wheel high option pretty soon. I have NEVER had a four wheel drive car so i know nothing about shifting into it and dont want to do anything to hurt the car. Can someone give me a "Shifting into four wheel drive for dummies" step by step please? Thank you so much.
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to shift right when you start the car, leave the transmission in park and shift into the 4-HI spot. If you're driving down the highway and want to shift, put the transmission in neutral, shift into 4-HI, put the transmission back into drive, and continue on your way. Hope this helps.
dancerman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. I have a '99 and my owner manual says shift to to 4 wheel high range (full or part) while moving (not exceeding 55 mph). You should be stopped when shifting to 4 wheel low.
soberidiot22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most XJ's came with the "on the fly" 4-wheel drive. i can see where you would get the idea to put the trans. in neutral but its not necissary. on the fly really means on the fly but ive noticed if your engine is reved up it will grind.[/quote]
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can shift into 4HI at any speed under 55mph in any gear.
To shift into 4LO, move along at 2-5mph, shift your transmission into Neutral, shift your tcase into 4LO, then put your transmission back into gear.
When shifting back out of either 4HI or 4LO, it may be necessary sometimes to go forwards and backwards a couple times to get your Cherokee to go fully into 2HI.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
330T

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renegadestang wrote:
You can shift into 4HI at any speed under 55mph in any gear.
To shift into 4LO, move along at 2-5mph, shift your transmission into Neutral, shift your tcase into 4LO, then put your transmission back into gear.
When shifting back out of either 4HI or 4LO, it may be necessary sometimes to go forwards and backwards a couple times to get your Cherokee to go fully into 2HI.

all is ture

but please make sure your rear wheels are not "skidding" on ice or snow when shifting. You should be moving but all 4 wheels should be going the same speed.
tomynoks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, know what transfer case you have....

NP231 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2H - 4H - N - 4L - used 87-01

NP242 - "Selec-Trac" part-time OR full-time - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2wd - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4LO - used 87-01

The NP231 is part-time.. meaning you cannot put it into four wheel drive on dry pavement. Use 4WD only on wet , slippery or uneven surfaces.
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
spotter6

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with dancerman you should be stopped or nearly stopped when shifting into 4Lo. Personally, the only reasons I ever use Lo-range is once in while to make sure everything is still working, in extreme 4-wheelin' nearly vertical climbs, pulling other poor saps out of situations, and when I'm sufficiently stuck which rarely happens.

Driving up here in the adirondacks in bad weather it's important that you learn to control your vehicle without 4WD most people think 4WD is a reason to drive at normal speeds in poor weather. This is a false sense of security and can be very dangerous and some common sense goes a long way, if you can do 55mph or more you don't need to be in 4WD. And, even though with 4Hi on nasty roads you'll be able to do 60-plus mph on the highway it is not a wise idea, 4WD doesn't do anything for your ability to stop moving.

With this in mind when shifting on the fly - between 20 - 45mph unless you have push-button 4WD it is probably better practice to put it neutral and remove your foot from the gas prior to shifting into 4Hi. This disengages the transmission, assures the engine is not making any revolutions, and allows everything slip into gear gently instead of under torque load.

Anyway, thats my two cents on the subject hopefully we've all helped.

Steve

'99 Cherokee Sport HO 4.0 I.F.I
Nothin' special yet..
P.S. It's not my Scout but it'll do Donkey, it'll do...
pipxj

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the only time I find myself using 4hi is when I need to start rolling from a stop and going uphill. I'll shift into 4hi and then back to 2hi once rolling good. Usually don't even have to do that.
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear it up, I was talking about full time...and on my Jeep I always shift when moving it's just easier to shift into neutral than come to almost a complete stop.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TJ and XJ both shift on the fly from 2-HI to 4-Hi without any issues.

Slow is the magic speed when it comes to 4-Low. Most of the Time in the TJ I have to have it in Neutral or if Im lucky I can shift while in gear bearly rolling. With the XJ I have to use Neutral and bearly moving to shift into 4-Low.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: