Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Absolute NEED for SYE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fathead_03

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Absolute NEED for SYE Reply with quote

If i just plan to do do mild to moderate offroading, with 4-5" of lift(lift coils, spacers, leafs, and transfer case drop), is there an absolute need for a SYE? Its more of a mountain rig for snowboarding, and occasional trips down rocky trails or to TSF, and a beach outing or two, but i do like to play around. Is it something that would just break the first time i try to fully articulate the rear end, or is it something that would slowly break over time with repeated use? My goal is for 4-5" of lift and eventually 31's and to not rub at full articulation, with some pre-runner style bumpers at each end, with a snorkel and the rack ive got. BTW its an 88.
tomynoks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 3.5" and 31's don't rub except on the discos when turned all the way. I did a 1" T-case drop and after a few hundred miles I have no vibration... if you go higher than 3.5" you may definitely need the SYE and CV driveshaft due to excessive vibrations and pinion angle. It's weird, but I know guys that went 4.5" and didn't need it, but most over 3.5" need it. I will get one at some point simply because it will make my lift easier.
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
tomynoks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to say "NEXT LIFT" at the end....
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
jppilot61

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to this question is almost always - It depends!

I did need one on a 92XJ with RE 4.5" lift. I tried it with a 1" Xfer Case drop but i removed the Drop Kit after the SYE Install
(I did Hack & Tap but that is another story! Search this forum for Hack&Tap)

Some people get away without one but it varies even on two XJ's of same year, same lift height as I understand it.

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Fathead_03

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, im thinking that the SYE is a definate, yet i dont think ill be doing much extreme wheeling till next spring, as the snow is about to fall around the hills here in Oregon. I would like to go 4.5"-5.5", with quick discos up front and no swaybar in the rear. I think it would be just a DD for the winter. Well, i think its in. 4.5"-5.5" lift with 2" trans case drop, quick discos up front, and perhaps adjustable lowers. Ill see if the SYE is needed right at first, and if so, i guess ill just do it. I did just get a job at Newberg Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler. Any other info about people who have gone that high w/o an SYE, and people who most def needed an SYE. Thanks guys.
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 98 and i put on the 4.5 superflex and t-case drop while i waited for my sye(hack an tap) and drive shaft to show up from R/E. I have to say the vibrations were horrible! because of two reasons i believe. first was the fact that on my 98' the exhaust exits behind the passenger rear wheel, and with the full 3.5" leaf packs installed the exhaust hanger rubs the shackle, causing every single vibration of the exhaust to reverberate off the shackle making an unbearable vibration at start up all the way up to free way speeds. Now at around 40-50 mph i could feel the driveline vibrate. so the t-case drop did nothing. i now have the sye and cv driveshaft with a glass smooth idle( i cut the exhaust from hitting the shackle too) and the only vibration i get is from the front driveshaft at around 55-60mph. i think the sye is better for ground clearance as well.
tomynoks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: SYE and CV Shafts... Reply with quote

Wanted to get some opinions.....

I can get the Advance Adapters SYE and Six States CV driveshaft for $440.00 shipping included... from www.jeepinjoes.com

Two questions... is this a good deal??

and should I get the flange or yoke style?

Thanks,

Tom
RE6030 3.5"
1" T-case drop
31x10.5x15 BFG AT KO's
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Tom Woods. You'll still get an AA SYE from him, but I know lots of people who run his driveshafts with no problems.

I believe going with a flange will be the stronger option, but it will cost a bit more.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: