Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Won't stay running.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Won't stay running. Reply with quote

I have a 94 ZJ 5.2. It's been running great until the other day. I was driving and without any warnings or symptoms it just stopped running. When I turned the key it fired right back up for about 2 seconds and then died again. That is what it is still doing it will only run for 1 or 2 seconds. When it starts it idles beautifully, then it just dies. I had a similar problem before and it was the fuel pump. It doesn't seem to be the fuel pump this time. I can hear the pump working and when the JEEP stalls there is a strong smell of fuel from the exhaust, almost like it is flooding. Even though the check engine light doesn't come on I checked for trouble codes and found none. I tested the crankshaft position sensor and the throttle position sensor, they tested good. Could the IAC be doing this? Any ideas are welcomed.
330T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the plugs wet?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a little wet, not soaked though.
330T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, they should be bone dry if combustion is good. I'd guess bad injectors or fuel pressure regulator. Do you have a fuel pressure tester? If so hook it up see if you are with in spec
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else had this problem?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a million simular problems... First off.. Do like 33OT suggested and get rent a fuel pressure tester from Autozone.. Then if your fuel pressure is more than 45lbs.. (39 should be the norm) change your fuel pressure regulator.. (its on the drivers side of the fuel rail)

If not .. Check your spark with the old screwdriver trick. If you dont have spark. Change your coil (you are checking for spark on the coil wire by the way..)

Keep the reciept for the coil.. If putting the new coil on doesnt make it start bring the coil back to the parts store and trade it for a Crank position sensor.. Mr. Green

That should get you going..

Let us know ...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I heard the fuel pump whirling, I pulled off the line right before the filter and when I tried to start only a couple drops came out. My problem is the fuel pump. I replaced it a little less than 2 years ago and didn't think it would go so soon. Going to order that msd pump and do the bypass. Thanks!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: