Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New member saying Hi!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kloker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: New member saying Hi! Reply with quote

So, Hi, everybody! I just joined. I've been doing some research. looking into buying a Cherokee and getting into four-wheeling a little, and of all I've seen so far, this looks to be a great forum, so here I am.

I picked up my new (to me) Cherokee yesterday. It's a '97 Sport, 2-door, 4.0L/5-speed 4x4, olive green w/tan interior, with 93k miles on it. It's my first Jeep, so I have a lot to learn, but I'm ready to dive in. Hope I don't bump my head.

I bought it from a UT student here in Austin. He and the Cherokee are from New Hampshire, and it's easy to tell when looking underneath. He didn't take great care of it, so it's gonna need a lot of small stuff, cleaning, cosmetics, small repairs, and general TLC. But I picked it up cheap, and I have the cash to do most of what I need and want to do to it to bring it up to snuff.

First thing is brakes. They are generally in rough shape, so I'm gonna start on that this weekend. I have a complete set of brake lines ordered, and I'll get those in first, then do the rest of it. That will get it roadworthy.

Once I get all the basics ironed out, I plan a mild lift, probably 3" or so, wheels and tires, and a nice stereo system. After that, then I'll see where it leads me. My plan is for it to be my main daily driver, and some weekend off-roading.

I have a decent digital camera, and I'll be taking some before and after pictures as the project progresses, so I may be posting some. We'll see.

Anyways, I just thought I'd wave that hand at y'all. I know this forum is gonna be a lot of help to me as I go, and if I can add anything that helps I'll try to contribute. This looks like a great community, and I know this is gonna be fun. Hope this is not excessive for a first post. Later.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll love this forum...many knowledgeable Jeepers are here and are always helpful.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep...welcome to the forum! Wink

Indeed there are some very knowledgable folks and good write ups here to draw from.

Wink
kloker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the welcome!!

While I wait for the brake stuff to come in I've been researching and trying to decide on some of the other stuff I want to do to my Cherokee.

I've settled on the OME 3" lift kit, with new springs and shocks, which I will probably get from DPG. I don't want to go higher since I may not be able to get it in my garage if I do, since I'm considering a rack on top. I don't plan anything more serious than light off-roading anyway, so I think this will give me a nice-looking, capable ride that's mechanically sound and physically able. It's also gonna be my daily driver.

So the 3" lift, with 31x10.50x15 tires should look good and work well for my purposes. Hopefully I won't have any rubbing problems with this setup. I don't really want to miodify the body, at this point.

For wheels I've settled on probably the Procomp alloys #1069 in 15x8, and for tires either the BFG A/T T/A KOs, or the Procomp A/Ts. These wheels have 3.75" backspacing, so this wheel tire combo should work with the 3" lift without rubbing. I hope. If anybody knows different, I'd appreciate any information on it. For instance, I want tires with good traction, but not too noisy or difficult to handle on-road. Luckily, here in Austin there's a 4WheelParts store, with a shop. I'll probably get my wheels and tires there, as well as some other accessories. There's also a wrecking yard/shop called Jeep South here, that deals exclusively with Jeep stuff and also has new and used parts, so I may do some business with them too.

I'm thinkin' the lift kit and misc. other necessary parts are gonna run me around $1500, and the tires and wheels about a grand, so if I allow that amount I should be good money-wise.

When that's all done and I am on the road with it, then it'll be time for the stereo. I don't plan a rap-mobile, but I will run multiple amps and good high-end speakers. I do like the music to be kickin.' And well balanced.

I'll be posting pics and write-ups on at least some of this.

Meanwhile, if any of you have suggestions, information, or recommendations, fire away, I'm all ears, and always open to new input. I don't want to end up with too much tied up in this ride, but what I do I want to do right, and I'm willing to spend what is necessary to do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: