Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Engine Swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sfisher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Help with Engine Swap Reply with quote

Ok, so swapping a 4.3 Vortec in my '85 CJ7. It runs great and can't wait to get out and wheel it. There is just one hitch. The computer I used is from an S-10 that apparently was an automatic and mine is a manual. So I keep getting codes from the computer saying the 3-2 solenoid and Transmision Converter Clutch have malfunctioned. These are both auto problems and don't apply to me. Here in CA I have to get it to pass a smog referee and that means the check engine light has to function and of course have it not turn on. But with this problem the light keeps turning on. Any ideas how to circumvent the computer or erase the code permanently? I don't want to have to buy a reprogrammer for 400$ just to get rid of this.
935speedxj

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you can hook up dummy switches an sensors to fool it an make that light go out i have seen it dont in a few trucks
93 cherokee 9 inch lift 6.5inch leafs 1.5 inch shackles 8.5 inch coils an lca's ..,jks disco's,front an rear steel tube bumpers ,an roof rack that i welded up an a bunch of metal that i cut off.... not to mention my wanna be wrangler doors ....
/dev/null

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try your local salvage yard and pull the computer from a manual 4.3 truck. Should have the same pin-out.... I think. Smile

Peter M

-this space for rent-
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/null wrote:
Try your local salvage yard and pull the computer from a manual 4.3 truck. Should have the same pin-out.... I think. Smile

Peter M

In a perfect world the pins would line up, but the last 4.3 we tried to swap in a different computer to, we had to move ALOT of pins. It was very doable with the wiring schematics for each, but definately not just a plug and go application.

You might be able to do it though, if you get the same year/model computer with the only difference being in the transmission.

Good luck
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this will work, but it's worth a shot. Detach your positive battery lead. Turn your ignition key fully forward and hold for 30 seconds. Re-attach the positive cable. This will wipe your computer memory clean. It will rev high for a minute then settle down. Now drive "normal" for a couple days to reset everything so it can relearn the new mods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: