Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4 wl drive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheNewGuy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: 4 wl drive Reply with quote

ok, i just need some information on the operation of 4wl drive for the YJ, i have heard multiple things about it, and i want to clear it up.

first of all, does driving on the highway(while it is slick) bad for a jeep. Because someone told me it is.

second, can you change into 4wl drive then back to 2wl drive while driving?

it is a 91 jeep with stock parts

any help would be greatly appreciated.
elmeno

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey bro.. from what i know.. you are not supposed to use the 4wd on the freeway at all... you can use it at high speeds but on loose terrains...

and well from shifting to 4wd you its better to do it wile moving about 5-15mph same to going back to 2wd.

thats what i know.. but i haven't never really confimwith an expert
TheNewGuy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for responding, it seems to me like no one ever replys to anything on this forum, and i appreciate that you did. I had to go somewhere else to figure this stuff out, because no one here would respond
IBTJn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheNewGuy wrote:
thank you for responding, it seems to me like no one ever replys to anything on this forum, and i appreciate that you did. I had to go somewhere else to figure this stuff out, because no one here would respond

That's funny...all 5 of your other posts have had responses, and good ones to boot.
So if you found the answer to your question, why didn't you come back here and post what you found for your answer?
Maybe there was another new YJ owner out there just like you.

Just wondering. Confused
330T

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its slick enough out and you are on the highway i dont think you will be doing 90mph. So while on the highway driving in slick, snow covered roads I doubt you will be going fast enough to cause a problem.

But just in case, in theory you should be able to go as fast as you can in 4wd with out it causing any problems.

Yes you can shift from 4HI to 2HI and back and forth going down the road as long as the road meets the "not dry pavement" rule.
elmeno

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

330T wrote:

But just in case, in theory you should be able to go as fast as you can in 4wd with out it causing any problems.

Yes you can shift from 4HI to 2HI and back and forth going down the road as long as the road meets the "not dry pavement" rule.

True as long as its not dry pavement it should be good...

but how about shifting at high speeds??? from 2wd tp 4wd??
TheNewGuy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it me or are the moderators a bunch of assholes, they hardly ever post anything good, but when someone complains that no-one posts they're ready to jump on his ass. I posted my 4wl drive question a month before anyone responded, isn't that a substantial enough period of time to wait befor getting irritated at the lack of posts. While I truly appreciate those who did post, you can't seriously be pissed at me for being irritated that no one posted on something like that for almost a month.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's the new guy who is an asshole. no
IBTJn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheNewGuy wrote:
is it me or are the moderators a bunch of assholes, they hardly ever post anything good, but when someone complains that no-one posts they're ready to jump on his ass. I posted my 4wl drive question a month before anyone responded, isn't that a substantial enough period of time to wait befor getting irritated at the lack of posts. While I truly appreciate those who did post, you can't seriously be pissed at me for being irritated that no one posted on something like that for almost a month.

Looks like someone needs to grow some thicker Jeep skin. laugh
Your self-centeredness and self-seeking is plain for all to see. On the trail we Jeepers help out folks. Or so that was what I was taught. Looks to me like you are more concerned with taking. Thus the reason for my question that you so conveniently ignored. From now on, I'll consider you troll...nothing more.
troll
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem as I see it is this.

People post and expect an answer within minutes. So you post a question and it takes a day to get an answer. Or if you post something and it doesn't get an answer respond to your own answer maybe rephrasing the question.

Believe it or not when you ask a question and somebody else is wondering the same thing they might come back to see if yours has been answered simply because the question has been asked or maybe they are lurking and don't want to put forth the effort.

Now I'm not sure about most, but most of us do work and actually have lives outside of the Jeep world. You know families, kids and looks like some of us actually have puppies too. Mr. Green

As for the moderators being assholes, what you outta say is wow that guy is an asshole opposed to coining the phrase "Why do all the moderators have to be assholes" When you call out the entire forum because don't get your answer answered then a mod calls you on it, don't get all pissy because you get slapped. Mods are mods because they are assigned. They earned the right to keep some order around here. Don't like the attitude what you need to do is bring it to the attention of another mod or one of the Admins. Trust me we are around. I personally get crap for being to nice or sounding to mushy, however I'm the same guy that says oh well, ban his ass. Twisted Evil

Now the answer to your pavement question and 4wheel drive. Avoid engaging 4wheel drive on dry pavement while turning. Its more or less a learning curve. The first time I drove on pavement and turned the front end end hopped and made some nasty chirping noises. Gave me a clue fast. As for snow I find my self using the front often when there is a lot of ice because we know that CJ's, TJ's and YJ's have the habit of wanting to throw the rear end in front of the front end because of the power of the rear wheels.
JLS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...

keep shifting from 2wd to 4wd hi to below 45 mph
if you are shifting into 4lo I find it is easiest at a stand still - 4lo really shouldn't be used on pavement.

keep 4hi and 4lo away from dry pavement, if it is wet, ice, snow use 4hi but be careful and ready to shift into 2hi if it gets too dry

take it easy on the mods, it is often better for the guy/gal asking simple questions to learn from experience or researching rather than a quick reply

and since so much of the simple/newb questions have answers readily available on the net it doesn't always make sense to re-create the wheel
330T

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmeno wrote:

but how about shifting at high speeds??? from 2wd tp 4wd??

well as long as all wheels are going 100mph and its not dry pavement you should be just fine
TheNewGuy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I know when I am wrong, and this time, I am wrong, I apologize for calling all moderators assholes, it wasn't justified, and even if it was justified I still shouldn't have said it. I was a bit miffed that I hadn't gotten a response in a almost a month, but I can't blame you guys for it. After all posting for someone is a curtesy I suppose. I appreciate the logical rebuttle instead of a flame, or a banning.
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheNewGuy wrote:
Ok, I know when I am wrong, and this time, I am wrong, I apologize for calling all moderators assholes, it wasn't justified, and even if it was justified I still shouldn't have said it. I was a bit miffed that I hadn't gotten a response in a almost a month, but I can't blame you guys for it. After all posting for someone is a curtesy I suppose. I appreciate the logical rebuttle instead of a flame, or a banning.

Dont forget this board was started small, most of us assholes know each other and are quite sarcastic. I think someimes being sarcastic gets taken as being an asshole. Yet if you read enough of what goes on you should be able to disserne between the two of them quite easily.

But I do agree that guy code is a real dick, I mean its not like the money and time to run this board comes out of his pocket or anything Finger Finger Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: