Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to the site with questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cremer42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: New to the site with questions Reply with quote

Hi first of all, I just bought my 93 cherokee country 4x4 yesterday for 250 bucks... so far i have but another 250 into it putting a new alternator and battery and serpantine belt on it. It runs great, but i beleive there is a drivetrain problem. First of all i pull up on the lever to move it to 4L or 4H and it will not budge... The person i bought it off of said they thought the rear end was out of it, but i was able to move it around in the driveway a bit.. I didnt take it down the road.

I was wondering what a good way to check these things was... I am pretty good with cars, I have just not ever messed with anything 4 wheel drive.

Thanks a bunch..

Jason
330T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it starts up and drives in 2wd?

to test it going into 4wd get it moving about 15mph on grass, dirt, or gravel, let off the gas (coast) and pull the lever into 4H. You should hear a thud, and be driving around in 4wd but keep it off dry pavement.
cremer42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it does... but i have not tested it on the road at all.. i had it towed home... Ill try that and see what it does..
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safest bet may be to go ahead a drain pumpkins and examine good for wear/tear as some problem may have been disclosed?

Might prevent bigger issues? (I never take my own advice on stuff like this!)

Or you can just go for the gusto and if you hear LOUD noises, ease off of it a bit!

You are not trying to get into 4L or 4H while in Park are you? As stated befor etry it rolling (<15mph or in neutral?)

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
cremer42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill try it.. i was in neutral when i was before... not park.. Thanks
cremer42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i tried it while driving... it feels like it goes into 4 wheel just fine but it does make some front end noise a little.. I guess i need to get tags on it and take it somewhere to someone that knows 4x4's...lol
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: 4x4 Reply with quote

The front end noise is probably one or both of the front axle u-joints. Pretty typical.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
cremer42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i had it in 4wheel and i was in the gravel and hit the gas and only the rear wheels broke loose... i am guessing maybe the transfer case or the fron diff is bad... since the noise i am hearing is from the front..
dancerman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like jppilot61's suggestion of draining the fluids and looking at the equipment. And, if your planning on tagging it and getting on the highway, I suggest making sure the brakes are in good shape, too. Good luck.
cremer42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, i got underneath the jeep today and i would say the transfer case is shot since there are 2 large holes in it and i can see the chain..lol anyway does anyone have any tips on how to remove the transfer case? The haynes manual i got is pretty vauge and i am new to 4x4's

THanks a bunch.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan to keep Jeep for any length of time and plan to continue to work on it yourself, I MOST HIGHLY recommend obtaining a Factory Service Manual. A Chilton or Haynes just can not compete with a FSM!

I think I paid about $50 for the 2 volume set I found for mine on EBAY. The absolute best money I have spent on JEEP yet!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, get a FSM. Basically, disconnect the driveshafts, speedometer cable, vent hoses and shifter linkage, support tthe transmission, use a tranny jack to support the transfer case, remove the nuts attaching it to the transmission, then pull it backwards to disengage it from the transmission.
cremer42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done all that but still cannot get it to pull back off the transmission. It looks like some sort of spacer between the TC and the tranny does that have to come with it or not..

Ill look for a FSM here quick also.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: