Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noise after shifting gears

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rubicon05

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Noise after shifting gears Reply with quote

New to the board but my searches didn't bring back anything.

I have an 05 Rubicon Unlimited with about 15,000. I just recently had a deffective rear passenger side caliper assembly replaced because it wasn't releasing pressure when I released the brake. Around the same time I noticed the brake problem I started to hear a clacking noise after I released the clutch in a gear and started to give it gas. I may have narrowed it down to the rear axle but not for sure. It will also do it if I release the gas to slow down then give it gas to accelerate. It may be a normal noise but it sounds too harsh to me to be normal. All other standards I have owned never made a noise like this. The dealer couln't find anything wrong. Any help would be great.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clacking do you mean like a engagement of your rear driveshaft to your rear axle?

Mine does it every once in a while, almost like Im gasing it and the messing of the gears has a little slop.
Rubicon05

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, is there really that much play between the driveshaft and the rear gears? The clacking is loud enough to hear inside the cab with the windows up (soft top though). It only does it on hard accelerations, if I ease into the gear it doesn't do it as much. So that might be the case.
Rubicon05

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is though it does it about 2-5 seconds after I have already engaged the gear. For example, at a light on a slight hill, goes green, I release the clutch all the way. Then after being in gear and giving it gas for about 2-5 seconds I get this clack sound. The gears have to be already engaged before I get the noise right?
By the way, it's bone stock. My trail rig will be my 1979 CJ7 after a frame up restoration in progress now. Thanks for your help.
rodneyjt24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a stock 06 Wrangler that does the same thing. Sounds like the valves rattle but it is comming from the rear of the engine. Did it for the first time two nights ago pulling out on a slight hill.
I may take it to the dealer for warranty issues.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine also has the same noise, I think it's from the throw out bearing. I only hear it when I let the clutch out at very low rpms, when I'm at idel and release the clutch and then gas it that's the only time it happens, other that that, it drives perfect.
I've heard other Stick TJ's make the same noise, I just think it's a "normal" noise.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Rubicon05

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise getting worse now. Every time I shift, warm or cold. The jeep feels bogged down until the clack sound then accelerates fine, like the engine is hesitating but it's not. I am just going to have to take it back in and say keep it till you find something.

Oh yeah, why is it when it's under warranty nothing is ever wrong and all noises are "normal" but when your not under warranty anymore they find 16 things wrong when all you wanted was an oil change????
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murphy's Law....Maybe

Dumb luck....No

It's because DC knows exactly how long the most expensive componets will last and offer coverage just under there life expectancy forcing you to pay big money to replace said items.
Conspiracy? OF COURSE.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: