Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backspacing Confusion - Help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kloker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Backspacing Confusion - Help! Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm a newb. I just got my first Jeep, a '97 Cherokee 2-door. I'm fixin' to go with a 3" OME lift, with new springs, etc. I want to run 31x10.50x15 tires and new wheels, so I've been studying up, here and elsewhere, on the backspacing issue, but I can't seem to find enough information to narrow it down to what I need. Any help from you experienced guys would be highly appreciated. Here's my question:

What backspacing do I need in my new wheels? I don't want any rubbing, or to have to do any trimming. This is gonna be my daily driver, with a little light off-roading. I know stock backspacing is 5.25", right?

Most of what I've read here says I should go with 4-4.5" backspacing on 15x8 wheels, but most of the wheels I can find that I like have only 3.75". I want nice looking alloys, not black steel wheels. Can't find ANY with 4 or 4.5" backspacing. Aargh! And what I've read so far says the 3.75" BS will require some trimming.

I like the Wheel/Tire/Lift guide here, very helpful, but I wish it had backspacing information too, that would be extremely handy.

I don't really want to lift more than 3", because I'm thinkin' I'd run into problems getting under my not-very-high garage door (I plan to add a top rack).

Any input will be appreciated. Sorry for asking an oft-asked question, but I just haven't found what I need to know, so far.
fastlx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your looking for something other than a one piece wheel, then there are lots of companys that will offer different offsets. For example, you can order Centerlines with any offset you want. As for low cost wheels, you are going to be stuck with the standard offset, which would be fine to run. Or, you can look for a set of 15x8 factory alloys, they will work too. You might be able to find a few companies out there that offer a positive offset wheel in a low cost one piece alloy, but I'm not sure it they are still doing that . Anyway, hope this helps.
kloker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastlx - Thanks for the great info. I do appreciate it. The stamped steel OEM wheels on my Cherokee are badly rusted, so they've gotta go. I found and picked up (Saturday) a set of AR62's, 15x7 w/3.75BS. They came off a '97 Wrangler, are in good shape, and I got 'em for a good price. I just have to get a set of center caps and lugs for 'em. So that's solved, for now. I decided to postpone the lift for now, till I get the thing on the road and drive the kinks out of it, and fix whatever else needs doing. When that's all done, then I'll do the lifting, and get bigger wheels and tires. So for now I'm gonna stick with these wheels and put 235's on. So it'll be pretty much just a street driver for a while. By Spring I hope to have it lifted. You could say "Springs in the Spring." Eh? I kill me. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: