Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nevada1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Hello... Reply with quote

Just registered. Last week I bought a 1984 Cherokee 2.8 Chief from the original owner with 49,000 miles. $1500.00 Garage kept and super clean. This is my second XJ and I really like 'em. Too bad the 2.8 is such a gutless wonder. Is the 3.4 conversion worth the hassel? Maybe someday... Here are some pic's and I'm sure I will be asking some questions soon.

Last edited by Nevada1 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Tardis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is the 3.4 conversion worth the hassel?

I'd do a 3.4 conversion. An injected 2.8 would even be better than the Rochester veri-jet 2.8L. Very nice XJ. It's not often you find an early XJ in that nice of condition with such low mileage.
dancerman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe I'd touch that beauty. That's one nice Jeep. I'd park it in my living room. Very Happy
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice XJ Cool very clean. Welcome to the forum. Finger
Nevada1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dancerman wrote:
I don't believe I'd touch that beauty. That's one nice Jeep. I'd park it in my living room. Very Happy

Ya, I know what you mean. I just about crapped my britches when I saw it. It is JUST like it came off the lot except the gold paint on the roof is dead. They were a spagatti bowl of vacuum lines and not one is out of place. This guy never did anything to it except have the dealer service it. He even had all the brochures from the showroom. One vacuum line had come off and it had no 4wd, cruise or climate control and the AC needs charge. Pretty minor stuff. I don't do hardcore offroad, just "soft exploration", so it should be just fine even with the 2.8l

$1500 might be just a tad high for the run of the mill '84 but I feel like this one was worth the $$.

JeepinNH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: nice Reply with quote

Wow, my 99 wasn't that clean inside 5 years ago. Look at that push button dial radio. What are the controls in between the e-brake and tranny levers? Looks like a good home for a 3.4 unless the 2.8 still runs well.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: nice Reply with quote

JeepinNH wrote:
What are the controls in between the e-brake and tranny levers?

I was wondering the same thing Rolling Eyes
Nevada1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switch by the shifter is the SelectShift 4x4 switch. It is all vacuum. When I was tracking down the no 4x4 problem, I opened it up and all it is, is a vacuum switch with three color coded vacuum lines that run back to the transfer case and the frontend axle vacuum disconnect. The pushbutton radio is just an AM/FM with no casette or CD. The rear speakers are good but the ones in the doors are junk. They got wet because the horizontal black rubber that runs against the window is bad. I need to replace it, but can't find a place that has that window wiping rubber. Any ideas where that stuff can be had on the internet??

As far as the 2.8, it runs great...just like a motor with 49k miles on it! Starts on the first bump, nice fast idle 'till its warm, smooth acceleration etc. But what an underpowered POS! I CANNOT imagine taking this for a test drive in 1984 and not asking the salesman WTF! Where's the BEEF. I'm afraid I'da walked...

I would love a 3.4L but I wonder if they even run that much better, it is only 600cc more. If the motor was junk that would be one thing, but with a sweet 2.8, I don't think I'm goint to spent the flow to replace it.

Is the 3.4 that much better??? Lemm'e know...
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: nice Reply with quote

Wow, so the system engages like the old AMC Eagles used to. Interesting seeing that it also has the lever for the transfer case which the Eagles did not. I think 84 was the first year of the downsized cherokee, maybe you have 1 of the first ones... Shocked As for the weatherstrip, you would get that at a Chrysler dealership or someplace like www.moparpartusa.com. I'd call or e-mail them so you can describe what you need because they name some of the items strangely on the website.

As for upgrading the engine, the difference would be huge assuming you put EFI in it and not use the old carburetor on your 2.8. I would guess at least a 50hp jump and probably more torque. Yours probably put out around 110 hp when new, probably under 100 now after so many years on that carb. 3.4l with EFI is 160hp on some cars (L32 motor): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_60-Degree_V6_engine#3.4_L.2F3400

It all comes down to you, you may just get the carb cleaned/rebuilt and gain some power. Seeing it's so clean and all original I think I would get the paint fixed and keep it in a garage. But, maybe if I drove it I would think differently. I really like the power my 4.0 has... Very Happy

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
PNWXJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that is a clean XJ.

Mine looked that clean for about a week. Mud,coffee, pine needles and muddy paw prints made quick work of the once clean interior.

Put it on Ebay with a $5,000 "buy it now" tag, see if anyone bites.

Sweet ride. Looks like a "grampa gave it too me" heirloom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: