Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

99 XJ brake rotors----composite or steel?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpongeBob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: 99 XJ brake rotors----composite or steel? Reply with quote

Just trying to find out how to tell if my 99 XJ has two-piece composite rotors or one-piece steel. I'm looking for a method other than simply measuring the rotors that are currently on the vehicle. I'm not sure if the previous owner replaced the originals with the wrong ones, so I'd like to know if I can check the mfg date or if ther is some other method of checking this. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at them.

The top of the hat on one-piece rotors is very thick compared to the thin hat on the composite rotors. Also, the hat of the composite rotors is a radiused edge versus the one-piece rotors with a squared off edge.
SpongeBob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply ehirner, I am aware of the differences in the rotors themselves, but I'm concerned that the previous owner may have put on the wrong ones in the past, which may be the ones currently on the vehicle. Is there another way of checking this without actually examining the rotors. I'd like to find out which kind of rotor the jeep rolled out of the factory with. By the way, is it even possible to put the wrong ones on and drive? If not, I don't even have to worry about all that and I can just do what you said above and check the rotors that are on it right now, because they would HAVE to be of the correct type. Thanks for any further assistance. Confused
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpongeBob wrote:
Thanks for the reply ehirner, I am aware of the differences in the rotors themselves, but I'm concerned that the previous owner may have put on the wrong ones in the past, which may be the ones currently on the vehicle. Is there another way of checking this without actually examining the rotors. I'd like to find out which kind of rotor the jeep rolled out of the factory with. By the way, is it even possible to put the wrong ones on and drive? If not, I don't even have to worry about all that and I can just do what you said above and check the rotors that are on it right now, because they would HAVE to be of the correct type. Thanks for any further assistance. Confused

The composite rotors can be replaced with the one-piece rotors. You just need to get the correct hat size as the unitbearing widths have varied over the years. (For example, there are 3 different unitbearings used in the 10 years of the TJ model line). My suggestion is to not worry about what it may have come with from the factory and figure out what's on it now. If the wrong rotors were used, the front brakes would not be aligned correctly when assembled and you would not be able to move the vehicle due to the wrong rotor hat size.
SpongeBob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot ehirner, that is exactly the info I was after. I'll check my size and get the one-peice rotors. Thanks for the help. Very Happy
These smilies are cool. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: