Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teflon tape question - coolant system

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blaine B.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Teflon tape question - coolant system Reply with quote

I wrapped my water pump heater-in pipe threads with teflon tape, as well as the temp sensor threads on the thermostat housing.

When I removed my temp sensor to clean it, I noticed the teflon tape below the point of contact between the threads on the thermostat housing and the threads on the temp sensor was gone.

Is it normal for the teflon tape to disappear where it is in contact with the hot coolant?

How many of you use teflon tape yourselves? Any problems ever?

Just curious really, is all. Thank you!
Blaine B.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody?
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any NPT fitting I use PTFE tape. But being a chemical pump guy, that's sort of second nature for me. I don't however use the POS white crap. That is for cold water applications only. It's useless in most other applications IMO.

If you are going to use tape, use the yellow gas tape at least, which is higher density yet still very chemically resistant. And do more than a single wrap (I usually do 3). If your tape is disappearing then you are likey going the wrong direction on the theads and it's being ripped off during installation. No way in hell any of the TFE tapes will be eatin away by antifreeze (ethylene-glycol) at any pH. Wink

Some (many actually) will use pipe dope...which I never use myself. I'd use high density PTFE tape any day over pipe dope. Wink
Blaine B.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do use the "white crap". Heh, it's the only thing I had Smile

I did put it on in the right direction, about 3-4 wraps. It isn't being eaten away when I thread in the sensor. So the coolant must be eating it away. Neverk new about that!

I'll have to get some more duable stuff for "next time."

Thanks for the response Very Happy
Blaine B.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....I used some of the teflon tape I used on the vehicle and put it in a pot with water, and boiled it over the stove.

Well it didn't melt or anything. It was the same consistency after boiling as it was before I put it in.

You're still banking on the fact that the coolant (the chemical) broke apart the teflon tape?

Thanks!
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaine B. wrote:
Ok....I used some of the teflon tape I used on the vehicle and put it in a pot with water, and boiled it over the stove.

Well it didn't melt or anything. It was the same consistency after boiling as it was before I put it in.

You're still banking on the fact that the coolant (the chemical) broke apart the teflon tape?

Thanks!

No, I'm not. In fact I don't believe chemically it affected it all. Glycol (antifreeze) at pretty much any pH level you'll find in a cooling system ISN'T bad at all! In fact, any of the soft metals (i.e. aluminum, brass/bronze, etc.) are just fine with it. If you are sure you went the correct direction with the tape (with the threads) then I have no explaination. But like I said, I use the hi-density PTFE tape myself...and don't do a simple single wrap on the threads. I work with MUCH nastier stuff than glycol, too (i.e. 93% sulfuric acid, 50% sodium hydroxide, 35% HCL, 12.5% CL2, etc.).

There are different qualities of TFE tape. Most are unaware of the differences, but there are. As I mentioned, I don't use the white stuff unless I have no other choice...OR, it's the Parker HD-PTFE or Integris Hi-Density PTFE tapes. But those are both way over priced and there are others that work just as well for a fraction of the cost.

Wink
Blaine B.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, yes, I am sure I put it on the right way (so threading it in doesn't go against the direction of the tape)

Thanks again!
Blaine B.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I pulled the sensor to have a look at the tape......see, it is disappearing as you can see. Actually, I found some on the threads and it turned clear......It was still there, but a bit thinner (or so it felt) and it was completely clear....not white......any idea? Is it just the heat maybe?

And here's the tapes I've used....

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you see your coolant sensor is NPT (national pipe thread) this means it tapers 3/4" per foot , it is an interference fit . So basically your Teflon tape is just being ripped up the threads and then all collects at the top .you shouldn't really even need Teflon tape

if the nut goes flush to what ever your screwing it into and your getting a leak then put a copper washer on it .

Is this actually leaking ? are the threads dry when you are putting the tape on and are you wrapping the right way .

the coolant wouldn't eat the Teflon tape , you could always try brush on stuff.
how much are you putting on ?

Teflon tape is what you are supposed to use on coolant systems , never had a problem with it . most of the time i just get away with a copper washer ( on the odd straight thread within a coolant system ) , if the pipe thread is good then it should seal it all on its own but i use a wrap of teflon just to be safe .
Blaine B.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh it isn't leaking...I use about 3-4 wraps of the teflon tape.....

Thanks!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrap your Teflon tape starting about 2 threads up from the bottom , then wrap up about two wraps , by then you have probably hit the top of the sensor , screw it in and go . thats the proper procedure for wrapping threads with Teflon .

don't double wrap it .
Blaine B.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean double wrap? Like don't cut the tape and then add more?

I didn't do that, I just used one continuous strand.

This is probably the most talk about teflon tape ever conducted!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya , hey i have seen people wrap the crap out of stuff . so i figured id say it .

there's more to that little white role of tape then most people know . haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: