Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have electric problems and Don't know what it is!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julio Conesa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Have electric problems and Don't know what it is!!!!! Reply with quote

Hello Friends:

Have some electric problems!

I don't have electricity in this areas:
the air conditioning activates the vaccum systems but no air come out and the compresor doesn't start.
The radio doesn't work
The lighter doesn't work
The wipers doesn't work
The horns doesn't work
The signal lights doesn't work either.

I have a Cherokee Wagoneer 1988 XJ. If some knows what could be wrong with it, please let me know!!!
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: electrical issues Reply with quote

What does work? You need a volt meter or simple light to trace stuff back. You could have a bad ground. You need to make sure the fuse box is getting power. My first thought was the key/ignition but your headlights should work either way. So my guess is bad ground or you are not getting 12v to the fuse box. This comes down to troubleshooting with some kind of tester.
1. test from something always hot like doorlocks to the neg side of the battery. If good continue.
2. test from the same spot to a piece of metal like the door. If bad (not 12v) then you have a ground issue. If good continue
3. turn the key on and test accessories to the neg side of battery and any metal.

You just need to step your way methodically to find the issue. Tell us what you find and list what does work too.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
BlueSunday

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happened to me at one point, all my electronics were failing. it turned out to be a bad ground, so i just ran an additional wire from the ground off the battery to the nearest screw on the body and everything started working again, quick simple fix, hope it helps
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Have electric problems and dont know what to do?? Reply with quote

The older Jeeps 1984-to about 1992 had some electrical problems.
I have had my share in my 1988.
Looking at your list three items are powered from the ignition switch wiring.
Wipers,lights and horn check the wiring connectors at the igntion switch
They could be burned.
The connectors that I have fixed or replaced
Dimmer switch plug connector burned Problem: lost headlights and brake lights
Headlight switch connector melted Problem: Lost dash lights
Ignition switch connectors Problem: would not start
1991 Cherokee Limited
Julio Conesa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Electric problem other one Reply with quote

Hi friends:

I work in my xj and I found this :

Burned ignition switch

Everythings come back to normal, but the air compresor and the electric fan is not working .Did somebody knows what could be?
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Electrical problems Reply with quote

Did you replace the connector or just replace the ignition switch?
If the wire connector was burned you should have replaced it.
It may cause you problems in the future. Just a suggestion.
As far as your as your compressor problem. The compressor will not come on with low or no freon. Find the switch atop the drier and make a jumper
across the switch and see if the compressor and fan cut on. Dont run it long you will burn up the compressor clutch.
If you have not done so convert to R134a freon. You should have the system evacted down and then recharge it. You will need R134a fittings,
about $25.00 .To check the fan find the wire that comes up on the left side of the fan and make a jumper straight to the battery. This is before you try to make the compressor run. The fan in your year works with the coolling system and the ac compressor. Fan should cut on with the ac off around 205-215 degrees
1991 Cherokee Limited
Julio Conesa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi friends:

I was cheking on the compresor and it works I put it directly to the batery and it activates .I was wondering that can be an relay but I dont know how to test it and I dont know were are they .

PD.

I want to thanks all the people that is helping me with my xj,thanks to everyone .

ATT.
Julio Conesa
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most relays are in the fuse box under the hood on the passenger side of the vehicle , older xjs just had them on the fender
Julio Conesa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi friends :

Today I work in my xj and I notice that the electric fan is working when the temperature rise to 198 degres. That let me know that is working by temperature, but when I put on the air conditioning the electric cooling fan and the air compresor are not activating.Did somebody knows why?

ATT
Julio Conesa
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Electrical problems Reply with quote

As far as your as your compressor problem. The COMPRESSOR WILL NOT COME ON WITH LOW OR NO FREON. Find the switch atop the drier and make a jumper
across the switch and see if the compressor and fan cut on. Dont run it long you will burn up the compressor clutch.
If you have not done so convert to R134a freon. You should have the system evacted down and then recharge it. You will need R134a fittings,
about $25.00 .To check the fan find the wire that comes up on the left side of the fan and make a jumper straight to the battery. This is before you try to make the compressor run. The fan in your year works with the coolling system and the ac compressor. Fan should cut on with the ac off around 205-215 degrees
1991 Cherokee Limited
Julio Conesa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI :

I already make that and the compresor activates .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: