Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new to forum..a few questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattxj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: new to forum..a few questions Reply with quote

Hello all, great site, have spent many hours looking around. I have a few questions. I have a 2001 xj sport, I recently did a 3" skyjacker lift with new rear leafs and 31's. when done I had it aligned and all is good except at take off (under normal acceleration) there is an ever so slight shuddering till about 20-25 mph. Then at highway speed, I hear and feel a Hmmmm........Hmmmmm.........Hmmmmm..........Hmmmmm, could this be the bfg ko's? my first thought is the driveshaft or something??? any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be a ujoint
mattxj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 1fox2go, I thought about that too, it did not do any of that before the lift and tires. Do you think because of the increased angle of the driveshaft, the u joints could be out of whack or need replacing????
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard was your lift to put on? I have enough money saved up for a lift but my only concern is how hard it will be to install.
Drake69

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, welcome to the site. I have an '00 XJ with the 3" Skyjacker lift (now modded even more...), and I had that humming sound until everything settled (at least a couple of months). The Skyjacker rides stiffer than most lift kits so you'll feel more of the road and offroad terrain, and I think it's the shocks more than anything else in the kit that makes it ride that way.

Now the shudder you feel until 20-25 MPH, is that from the front or the back? If it's from the front, and the front-end's been aligned, you might want to double-check all your bolts and stuff to make sure you torqued them to factory specs and not just as tight as you could get them. Problems come from over-tightening nuts and bolts just as much as under-tightening. If the shudder is in the rear, check the bolts back there as well, especially at the point of the rear shackles and front of the leaf packs.

Worst case scenarios are either a ubolt in back or a bushing up front, but it's better and cheaper to double-check your work rather than throwing parts at the problem. Good luck!!!

Last edited by Drake69 on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBrat97 wrote:
How hard was your lift to put on? I have enough money saved up for a lift but my only concern is how hard it will be to install.

Here is the install I did with the help of Steve (the Phantum) and Dale (majikxms). Pretty easy stuff!

1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i put my lift on i had major vibes and humms, i put my tcase drop in and they all went away, it could be something as simple as that, but it is quite possible that its a ujoint noise from lift angles
mattxj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy jeep THANKS FOR THE ADVICE/HELP DRAKE69, 1FOX2TOGO AND THEBRAT97. I WILL RE CHECK BOLTS AND SUCH & RE CHECK TORQUE SPECS.
THEBRAT 97: ME AND A FRIEND OF MINE DID IT ON A FRIDAY EVENING AND ALL OF SATURDAY. IT WAS NOT THAT BAD BUT YOU MUST TAKE YOUR TIME AND READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. EVERYDAY THE WEEK BEFORE THE INSTALL, I USED PB BLASTER (A LIQUID PENETRANT) AND SPRAYED EVERY NUT AND BOLT THAT I THOUGHT WE MAY HAVE TO TOUCH, AND IT MADE IT ALOT EASIER. WE STILL SNAPPED OFF THE REAR UPPER SHOCK BOLTS(EVEN AFTER HEAVY SPRAYING WITH PB BLASTER) WE HAD TO RE TAP THEM, I BOUGHT A SMALLER T HANDLE FOR THE TAP SO IT WOULD BE EASIER. OTHER THAN THAT, IT WAS JUST A MATTER OF SWITCHING PARTS OUT. JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH JACK STANDS TO SUPPORT THE TRUCK, SO IT IS SAFE. ONCE AGAIN THANKS TO ALL FOR THE ADVICE. (THIS IS THE FIRST FORUM I HAVE EVER WAS ACTIVE ON) I DO HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION TO THROW OUT TO ALL. I ORDERED THE IPF HEADLIGHT UPGRADE WITH THE IPF BULBS, ANYBODY HAVE THEM??? IF SO WHAT DO YOU THINK????
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: