Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeeperman Rocker Skidz?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Jeeperman Rocker Skidz? Reply with quote

Has anybody installed these on their rig? I have a new '06 LJ that I want to upgrade egress/ingress on as well as rocker protection. I'm also planning on installing their rcv'r bumpers front and rear. I stipulate a rcv'r up front as well so I can hang a liscense plate holder in it since some of our local municipalities are a might touchy about not having a front tag on your vehicle! Any advice would be most certainly appreciated.
BB
Wink

My wife OK,
My dog MAYBE,
My guns NEVER!
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not recommend their LWB TJ Trail Skidz. They require a body lift or grinding on bolts to install them. I tested a set for them in exchange for an article but never could get them installed. There was no way to grind the bolt so they'd fit. Bolt couldn't be removed from the top and not enough clearance for the grinder underneath.

I would strongly recommend Rokmen rock sliders but they do mount to the body and require drilling holes. A lot of people are hesitant to do this.

Their bumpers are good but I'd recommend Rokmen's Mercenary front bumper in place of the Jeeperman, also. Better clearance, better design, nicer, more modern appearance. The rectangular tube bumpers are a dime a dozen. The Mercenary has some style to it and has provisions for a front plate.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received this via PM but figured it would be better suited here.

Quote:
Howdy!
What exactly were the problems you had with these bolts? I don't notice it saying anything about needing a body lift on Jeeperman's homepage for this product. I went to JeepReviews.com and got nothing but raves on these.
Please edumicate me.

The rear frame mount of the Trail Skidz hits one of the bolts for the sport bar attachment through the floor just behind the rear seats. There was no way to install the set I received without a body lift, grinding the end of the bolt, or cutting the rear mount off the Trail Skidz and rewelding it on further towards the rear of the vehicle.

I never could reach a resolution with Jeeperman and gave up. A buddy bought them off of me after he installed a 1" BL on his Unlimited. They fit nicely then.
Billy Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Solution! Reply with quote

I just spoke to Kelly at Jeeperman this evening. He said I can install a shorter bolt for the roll/sport bar through the floorpan of my LJ that will alleviate the problem. Sounds like a plan to me; as I have NO intention of instaling a 1" body lift just for that(or for any other reason).
BB

Wink
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution! Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
I just spoke to Kelly at Jeeperman this evening. He said I can install a shorter bolt for the roll/sport bar through the floorpan of my LJ that will alleviate the problem. Sounds like a plan to me; as I have NO intention of instaling a 1" body lift just for that(or for any other reason).
BB

Wink

Take a peek under your carpet first. The goo the factory uses to seal up the tub prevented me from removing it.
Billy Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Goo: Reply with quote

I think yer right on this one. I saw the same goo and will probably go with the Body Armour units which are also a no-drill application unless anybody can dispute said claim to a bolt-on status.
BB

Wink
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Goo: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
I think yer right on this one. I saw the same goo and will probably go with the Body Armour units which are also a no-drill application unless anybody can dispute said claim to a bolt-on status.
BB

Wink

I took pictures with measurements and reference points of what the problems were for them to revise their design. They were not interested at all. At the time, I had Jeeperman front and rear bumpers with tire carrier and Jeeperman SWB Trail Skidz on my 99 TJ. I've since replaced everything except the tire carrier with Rokmen stuff and won't buy a Jeeperman thing again.
Billy Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Thanks for the info: Reply with quote

I will be going w/ Body Armor for the skidz and bumpers. True bolt-ons and heavy duty as all hell.
Wink
Billy Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Not a Jeeperman fan? Reply with quote

Yo ehirner!
So you're not a Jeepermen fan anymore?! This flies in the face of conventional wisdom as one of this forums moderators IMHO. I counted no less than three tech articles by very happy members (ie: jaysea & whatwasIthinkin) who were odviously happy/impressed enough with their products to author articles about said products! I will certainly agree that their attitude regarding forthrightness about the issue you and I had was less than professional. But, was it enough to permanently turn one off to their products for good? I'm not sure this is in the best interests of all members. In all fairness to them; some of our people seem very happy with their stuff. I'm curious what made you swap out ALL of their stuff except the swing-out tire carrier for Rokmen? Were they comps?
Not insinuating anything less than upstanding. Just asking. And in all fairness to your assesment of the situation; how can they sell stuff as "Bolt-On" when it so clearly requires either fabrication or modification to install said parts?
I myself had two reasons for choosing to go w/ Body Armor rails and bumpers.
A- They are a true bolt-on product.
B-Their front rcv'r hitch sits low enough to mount a rcv'r mounted license plate bracket that apparently won't interfere with whatever winch I eventually get. Jeepermans seems to sit right up against/below the winch mounting plate on their front bumpers. This is critical here in NJ as some of our local municipatllities are rather uptight about NOT having a front plate on your vehicle. I got two such tickets a few years ago with a tube bumper on my first 4x4. Can't aford such expensive styling cues nowadays.
I DO appreciate your help and info regarding this issue as you kept me from spending ALOT of do-re-me on something that would have really pissed me off to discover! Thanks for your help and knowledge.
BB

Confused
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, you'll note that neither WWIT or JaySea have been around much. I know WWIT sold his Jeep...not sure if JaySea still has her's. She does peek in every once and awhile. Also, the writeups done are old and no longer a testiment to the service Jeeperman provides. Customer service significantly degraded over the last couple years. Seems as if Jeeperman became too big for the management to handle...long lead times, promises that stuff would ship and it didn't. This appears to have changed with the new ownership of Jeeperman.

Many are happy with their Jeeperman products. Other than the LWB skidz, I never had a problem with any of their other stuff. I just moved on to companies with better products...better in design, better in quality, better in offroad capability. The frame mounted rocker protection does rob you of clearance. I went from SWB Trail Skidz to Rokmen Rock Sliders on my 99 SWB. Better clearance and stronger design, IMO. When I sold that Jeep and start building my Unlimited, I went right to Rokmen LWB Rock Sliders after having the bad experience with Jeeperman's LWB Trail Skidz. After having two pairs of Rokmen Rock Sliders, I started looking at their other stuff. Their front bumper is tighter to the frame rails and provides better clearance. You can see my review of it here.
http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10290

Jeeperman's quality was also starting to suffer. Welds that were left with pinhole openings. Powdercoat that left bare metal exposed. Poorly built bumpers with shackle mounts welded wrong. I'm trying to recall the issues I saw off the top of my head. For awhile, it seemed the only way one could get a straight answer from Jeeperman management was to public roast them on a forum. If you tried privately via emails or PMs, you got the run around.

Last edited by ehirner on Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Billy Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

THAT was a well formatted response! I really appreciate the straight poop as it were. Like I said, it saved me some serious $ not having to find this out on my own. I also was not aware that they had changed ownership/management as well. I am skittish about drilling into my tub and framerails. I did it with the Rocky Road Rock Rails I had on my '97 XJ 2-door and was not happy having done so.
I'll let you know how I like the Body Armor units and will try to format a review of said install.
Thanks again.
BB

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: