Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what transfer case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: what transfer case Reply with quote

hello , i have two transfer cases for my cherokee and i was wondering what one was better i have the

NP231 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2H - 4H - N - 4L - used 87-01

and the

NP242 - "Selec-Trac" part-time OR full-time - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2wd - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4LO - used 87-01

i would assume the np242 is a better case because it allows me to have full time 4wd , just wondering what one is stronger and is all and all the better case . thanks
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well heres the thing. you need to figure out which one is gonna be the best one for your needs.

The 231 is a very nice case. Chain driven simple design and reliable. YOu can get an assortment of Slip Yoke Eliminators(SYE) for it, as well as a HD output shaft with 32 splines. You can get 2wd low range and even 4.1 lowrange. ----But it is only a part-time case. You cant use it on dry/wet pavement. and if you drive in ice or mountain conditions it can get annoying having to stop and disengage the tcase cause the icy spots have ended.

The 242 is a great all around case. It too is chain driven and reliable-the chain is actually larger than the 231. You can only get one SYE for it and its dubbed as a hack an tap cause you have to drill and tap your shaft. But still a very good SYE, and has stood up in many vehicle with out fuss
You have the option of using full-time 4wd in alot of conditions and dont have stop and disengage just cause the icy spots have gone away. Driving in very rainy conditions up steep hills? Just keep it in full-time, ready to hit the trail? Throw it in part-time. Climbing a steep rutted hill? Throw it in low-range, and you can even get a 4.1 gear set for it from Teraflex.

So you just gotta sit and think about what you need the jeep to do. If its a fulltime trail rig, get the 231. If its a daily driver swap in the 242 and have fun. My Xj with the 242 and 4.5 R/E superflex kit handles all conditions pretty well.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i woudln't spend any money on my jeep , i just have both cases and am thinking about the 242 because it has a double cardian shaft were the 231 doesn't (maybe i can put it on the 231)

its really gonna be more on the road icy conditions with some mud but nothing crazy , if i was going to mud the thing i would put a atlas 2 in it or something along those lines .

whats a slip yoke eliminator , i always here it but never had it explained to me . im pretty sure i will put the 242 in it and if it ever blows up i can just put my 231 one back in . thanks for your help
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SYE = Slip Yoke Eliminator. Usually comes in a kit which "eliminates" the slip yoke section on the rear of the transfer case, which allows for a longer rear driveshaft. This helps to reduce driveshaft angles when a vehicle is lifted beyond a certain amount (depending on the individual vehicle, but usually after 3.5" on average) when driveline vibrations start occurring.

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for explaining that to me .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: