Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

92 HO idles high, transmission problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rumchugger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: 92 HO idles high, transmission problems Reply with quote

I have a 92 xj 4.0 HO 4x4, it idles at about 1500, i think it is an intake leak but i'm not really sure. my main problem is that i have serverly abused the transmission, it has an aw4. The fluid smells burnt after cruising on the highway. I have 150k on it and i don't think the trans fluid has ever been changed. I'm wondering if i should change the fluid and fliter, but i have heard this could actually cause worse problems and i should never change it, since i dont know if it has ever been changed. I think it will go out soon, it shifts hard into reverse, but i think it is from the high idle. but it doesnt slip at all and still has plenty of power. I dont want to spend much money on it, as it is totaled anyways ( i rolled it about 4 months ago) but i still drive it everyday. my real question is, what is the compatability of these transmissions and what should I look for when getting a junkyard one? I'm thinking i should look at the output shaft? Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks.
c130herc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 92 HO idles high, transmission problems Reply with quote

it idles at about 1500, Could be a bad TPS, or vacuum leak.

i have heard this could actually cause worse problems and i should never change it The fluid needs changed. The filter is just a screen. You may have heard someone say not to flush the AW4, This is different than just draining the fluid and refilling it.
It does need a fluid change.
Use Dextron III, not the Chrysler auto fluid as the AW4 is not a Chrysler transmission.
rumchugger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...you're probably right about the tps, i'm not too worried about that as much as the transmission. dextron III? i'm kind of scared actually of changing it though. I have rolled, jumped, destroyed, overheated god knows how many times from a mud clogged radiator to a hole in it, and it still goes everywhere up here in alaska. I bought it when i first got stationed here. I don't make much money but a 94 aw4 is 350 bucks, i have 2 cars, my other is an old dodge, so downtime is not an issue. I just really want her to last the rest of this winter and maybe the next. I've heard flushing is bad because it breaks up junk in the lines and in the cooler and stuff, plus a flush is like 80 bucks. maybe i'll go with a drain and fill, plus the filter. is it a no-no to use rtv on the pan? It's kind of smashed from a rock..and i really dont want it to leak. But I tell ya, this is the best, most reliable vehicle i have ever owned. It was still running on its side after i rolled it, then it started right back up after 3 hours like that, talk about dependable. thanks for the reply! Phillip.
c130herc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you understand what I wrote. Do not flush it just drain and refill. I have one of those boat oil extractors. The kind you pump and it uses a suction action like a straw. My XJ is a trail only rock crawler and I abuse my trans all the time in the Texas summer heat. I use the pump to suck out the fluid thru the fill plug and then I put fresh in every summer and I do not drop the pan at all. It takes me about 10 min to do a change.
Part of your problem in the way the fluid looks could be that it has the wrong kind in and it got burnt since the AW4 runs hot anyways.
rumchugger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand, but what about the filter? i'll change the fluid and see what happens, are there any good additives or is that no good? thanks again. Phil
c130herc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filter is just a screen. I changed mine about 2 years ago when I bought mine but I just change the fluid now and will not be changing the filter/screen again unless I need to drop the pan for some reason.
I do not use additives so I have no personnel experience with them.
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Tranny problems Reply with quote

I have done the drain and refill on both my XJs. Use dexron III
Yes the filter is a screen and I would recomend to drop the pan this time and clean or replace the filter. A gasket is avaiable fropm NAPA about $8.00. Rubber one. I would not recommend the flush machine because of the cost. And whats to say is the mechanic putting in the correct fluid.
Most shops use these machine for mutiple applications which use different fluids mixed in the same flush machine. I work in a shop that does that.
Yes the machine will flush the cooler and torque converter but you can do drain and refill several times to get the fluid form the cooler and trorque convertor
1991 Cherokee Limited
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: