Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any other 4.0 peroformance mods

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brent bartman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Any other 4.0 peroformance mods Reply with quote

first off lemme say before my XJ i had a civic running 15 psi with about 360 HP pumpgas ran high 11's constant from throttle bodys, high compression cylinders and upper intakes bigger injectors you name it i had it. blew the motor on a 25 psi dyno run (icracked the block) Crying or Very sad ...so i guess im addicted to hp so thats where i need your help so i already have a AFE cold air intake, crane cams throttle body spacer and a pace setter cat back but is there any other performace upgrades i could do without spending $2000 for new heads and rockers??? does any one run a hydraulic Cam from crane cams??? im curious on what the HP and torq gains are? even if its 20 horses thats damn good considering im barely getting that out of my 250 dollar cold air... i ran a crane on my civic so i know there good cams but im not sure the stock lifts,lobe angles on the stock cam to tell if it will be something with signifigant gains but like i said 126 bucks is damn good for a performace cam,the one on my b18 was around $600... but back on subject what about bigger throttle bodies i think the stock is 60mm is there a 65 or 70 mm upgrade or could i machine my stock to 65mm?? my uncle owns a machine shop so i have all the lathes to do it on...and is there any chips for the 91 4.0L ? like ive said ive only had my XJ mabey 4 months and havent looked into all the upgrades so if you guys could help me out it would be greatly appricatiated...
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A header is a good upgrade, but they are dang expensive for Cherokee's. A cam would be good for some lower end torque. Also, don't forget about the abundance of programmers and chips out there.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
brent bartman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent found any and chip on my dads hemi gave em 20 horse for 400 bucks thats alo of bang for your buck...yeah right.... i may look into it but i want some noticable get up and go....
AFE cold air
jet chips TBS
4 inch rustys spring pack
32 TSL (more like street slicks)
gtouimet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a header check this one out:
http://www.autopn.com/store/pc/viewprd.asp?idProduct=20009
This is the one I've got and it works great. The best part is that it is cheap. I'm talking $120.
If you want a chip check out Jet chips:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17608_02.htm
They aren't cheap. I have only heard about the performance gain from these, I have never tried one, but there are plenty of people who have them, purhaps they will pipe in.
If you want a bored throttle body check this out:
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/MustangTB.html
I was looking at doing this myself.
Hope this helps alittle. Good luck
Drake69

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run with a Jet-Stage I. Biggest waste of money for me. Supposedly, you get only a marginal improvement with it, but the "real" benefit is with the Stage-II. The problem with that is, you get the 15-20HP bonus when you also bore out the throttle-body, air-intake, and temp sensor, but after doing all that, you've already increased your HP considerably. So, there's no real improvement to be had. A rebored throttle body, air-intake system, and an aluminum radiator replacement (3-chamber) does better than a new computer chip any day.

DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 93 Zj and i am getting a MOPAR peroformance cpu for like 300 dollas... they claim 30 PERCENT hourse power gains.. ijm not sure if they have one for the 4.0..
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not make a 4.6L stroker out of it , you only need a crank , con rods , pistons and some machining , and probably injectors and i believe a fuel pressure regulator , and maybe a map adjustment . you could easily do a stroker for under 2000 $ with an uncle who owns a machine shop . im hoping to do mine for around 1000$ because i will have free machining as well . it looks like its the best way to get power out of the old 4 L . as long as your not afraid to take the engine out .

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html

http://www.ajeepthing.com/stroker-motor.html
killwhytey07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a 4.0, but I've read a lot about them, and from what I've read the best way to get more horse power is intakes and headers. but if you're looking for huge power gains, I suggest a stroker too. I've read about 5.0 strokers. I doubt that would be a very long lasting engine, but it is possible. It claimed 300 horse power, but i can't verify that, because I've never actually seen it done. the great thing about strokers are they can be built out of basicly stock parts from older jeep motors.

http://www.ajeepthing.com/stroker-motor.html

thats a pretty detailed site one the budget stroker, if you do do it, id like to hear how it works out, because i'd like to build one myself one day.

another option, is a v8 swap... just saying...
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8 swap is always a good choice , im not sure what a good block to use would be thow , a 350 seems a little big and heavy i don't see why you would go over a 302 . any one have experience in this

for a stroker i wouldn't go higher then a 4.6 taking more then .030 out of the cylinder wall is not right , and the .060 or .090 is just silly .

i would still recomend the stroker
gtouimet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking into stroking mine as well. I am going to try to keep it cheap by getting mostly used parts. I have heard of guys stroking it 0.60 over using a new cam and an aluminum head from Hesco, larger injectors, and basically all the bolt on exterior mods and getting 300hp and 350fpt. Now, I don't need that much and I don't have that kind of money, but that sounds pretty good to me.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just couldn't see the block lasting very long at .060 overbore , i would rather drop a v8 in then do a .060 personally .

.030 and then deck it .045 is all i would do to the engine block .

if your putting 300 hp and 350 lbs of torque in a xj just seems like to much for the stock tranny and axles and t-case . and maybe even for the body , uni-bodys aren't really built for it and are more difficult to modify to take it . then again its a jeep .

the most expensive part for the stroker is a new set of injectors , but if you get ford ones then you get a bit of a price brake . you just have to know what ones to get .
brent bartman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could u turbo the 4.0 if u ran like no more than 8 lbs you be in the green i unno seems like it would be something cool anyone done this??
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would probably be better off with a roots blower . eaton makes some nice ones that will fit a 4.0L , there are alot of blowers available for a jeep .

personally a blower of turbo is way to expensive for a jeep engine , stroking the engine will be much cheaper , also i wouldn't turbo the stock engine the head probably couldn't take it . its a inline engine so the bottom end should be strong .

you can turbo it but i would personally get better rod's a better head better pistons if i was going to turbo it .

with this much power you are going to eat your transmission transfer case and axles in no time at all .

i would go with a 4.5 stroker and some 4.10 gears , things like a cam upgrade a throttle body and exhaust add more power working together but separately do little . i noticed you said you did a cat back did you also remove your cat or do you have a 02 sensor after it ? 4.10 gears will do alot for your power needs but you will not be able to go as fast .
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but hey if you have a turbo sitting around then set your blow off valve for 8lbs and see what happens , you just need to find a intake and exhaust manifold and intercooler . worst that can happen is you will drop a valve or something .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: