Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hmmm... Wierd noise coming from engine and it almost stalls

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Hmmm... Wierd noise coming from engine and it almost stalls Reply with quote

Well a high pitched noise is coming from my engine... i cant quite trace it down i thought it was my airintake but i took off my air intake box and inspected near the throttle body and it did not seem to be the source... ALSO if this is a clue to what it could be or maybe another problem i dunno.. BUT if i rev my engine.. when i let go the rpms go down to an almost stall then they kick back up to normal idle. this is very disheartining.. im not sure what it could be.. maybe an O2 sensor? it may be running rich is what a buddy said.. im hoping with my new Mopar performance computer it will maybe fix its self.. if only it were that easy ha ha ha... i wish! thanks for any and all feed back
RussellRowell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it sound like a vacuum hiss. A vacuum leak could cause your engine to stall and run bad.
NP249 / 5.2 / MB Motoring Rims/ 1500 watts
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say ya kind of.. how would i determine this? the high pitched noise definately gets louder with the rev of the rms.... it almost sounds like a super charger or something ya know? any recomendations on how to find this problem and how to treat it?
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mb motoring?? wats that?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the noise and idle issue.. Check your Map sensor.. Make sure its not damaged and the plug is all the way in ...

Start it up and let the engine idle and unplug it and see what happens..

For the supercharger type noise.. Mr. Green Check your idler pulley.. The bearing is probably bad.. They sell replacements at most parts stores..

Good luck..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cajzmere

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your stalling issue may be intake manifold leak. Take some gas in a spray bottle, or starter fluid and spray (really carefully if engine is hot, don't wanna blow youself up) around the intake. If the engine revs up suddenly, your leak is that area. Map sensor is the 1st thing i would check, but the leaky intake is next. Good Luck!!
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what and where is the Map sensor? sorry to sound so dumb shit.. i will defintely look it up in da haines if i can.. thanks for the help i will let you know what i find.. intake manifold might be it.. i notice when im punching it when the rpms get high there is a noise that grows with it and it sounds air related... if i take off air intake box and put my hand over the throttle body it is sucking pretty good at idle.. i dunno i will look into the sensor and then check for possible leaks... to bad my battery was dissconected when i threw in my fan so i wont get any codes for 50 starts im assuming

thanks guys
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sensor seems to be cherry.. its plugged in tight and the wires look good.. i will do an extensive search of the intake manifold for a leak.. if neither of these things what else might it be? o and my idler pulley seems to be all g, i will take off the belt and find out for sure tho
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plenum (sp) gasket is known to leak on the 5.2 . If you take the intake off change that biotch to.. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DankNesS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent taken it off yet.. it doesnt seem to be the culprit.. i guess just by checking it by hand. im a lil timid to spray the intake wit gas... but i guess i need to..
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carb cleaner or starting fluid will work..

DankNesS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the best way to check the idler pulley? just by ear? if it doesnt sound like its clogged and it spins freely its all g right? i will try some carb cleaner.. where do i spray all over the intake manifold or just near my throttle body? i am looking for flamage?? for the cc to catch on fire right?
i also noticed a shity ass leak under the bottom pulley some where on the engine.... not good Embarassed
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front main seal leak is not a big deal.. Buy new front and rear main seal and change them both at the same time.. (they are 2 piece so all you have to do is drop the oil pan and a bearing cap..

Idler pulley will be loose and wobbly if its bad.. (or making alot of noise.)

When you are spraying the carb cleaner it will not catch on fire it will only rev up or idle down.. If it gets sucked into the intake..

Spray it around the edges of the intake and the throtle body..

cajzmere

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When spraying, do small spots at a time around edge of intake manifold. That way you can find the crappy leaky spot, and check it for warpage or whatever....<-- scientific huh?
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet man.. i will have to check this weekend i havent even got around to buying starter fluid!! ha ha i just changed my steering knuckle from a few months ago i stripped the caliper bolt threads on mine. Evil or Very Mad . 1 project at a time... so what am i to do IF the engine revs when i spray some where? does it mean jus change the gasket or is it more serious like new intake manifold? i want to get that biotch prot and polished any way so if i got a new one.. i could prot and polish it.. AND id never miss a day of driving! i will hopefully get to it tomarrow.. my darn mopar pcm is suppose to be in tomarrow.. actually last wednesday but tomarrow is at im now hopen for.... maybe this will solve the problem too..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: