Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

good lockers???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brent bartman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: good lockers??? Reply with quote

alright im in need of some lockers or sometype of LS...alright well i drive my jeep around town occasionally so im thinking a LS or an manual locker.....i dont want a nosiy clanky automatic...who makes good LS...and should i go with ARB or OX....please help...and electric lockers are arlready out of the question
AFE cold air
jet chips TBS
4 inch rustys spring pack
32 TSL (more like street slicks)
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question: What are you going to use it for? Occasional offroading, serious rock-crawling, weekend mud-bogging?

Second question: What year/model IS your Jeep? Is it already lifted?

Third question: What is your diff? Dana or ChryCo? Is it factory stock or a recent upgrade?

Fourth question: Have you regeared yet, or do you intend to regear when you get the locker?

Fifth question: In what condition are the axles? Are they factory and shouldn't you go ahead and replace them while you have everything else pulled off?

And all of these questions finally lead to....

Final question: How much are you willing to PAY? Worthwhile lockers cost considerably more than simple lunchbox gear replacements or other lower-end deals.

It's hard to help recommend a product without knowing more about what you drive, how you drive, where you drive, etc... Here's an example:

1: I occasionally do rockcrawling and mud-bogging with more emphasis on general offroading and highway travel.

2: I own a 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ Sport with a 4" total lift.

3: Chrysler 8.25" 29-spline differential (factory diff).

4: No, waiting to swapout to a bigger diff.

5: Stock axles, again, waiting to swap those out for tougher axles when I go to a bigger diff and regear.

6: Limited funds. Can't spend the money on a full replacement diff/axle/locker combo, but have the money for a simpler solution.

Total: I got the Auburn Gear Limited Slip Diff. At $375 it was the cheapest I could fit in my heep that I could afford to install and tear up until I put the money together to do a full-on front/rear axle swap with lockers already installed, new gearing, and tough-a$$ axles.

And, crossing fingers, I'll have this L-S beast installed tomorrow...

Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And according to your build sheet:

1: Not 100% sure yet.

2: 1991 Jeep Cherokee XJ w/ 4.5" lift.

3: Probably Dana35.

4: Probably stock gearing.

5: Probably stock as well.

6: Many choices, Detroit, Auburn Gear, ARB, Powertrax, OX, Trac-Lock, LockRight. Here is a good site to look at regarding the differences in lockers.

brent bartman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.its a weekend warrior nothing i guess serious but all ive done is florida trails but the trails we wheel on are all old phosphate trails with limestone rocks and mud in all the crevases (sp?)

2: 1991 Jeep Cherokee XJ w/ 4.5" lift. stock gearing, 31's

3: Dana 44 rear with 30

4 3.54 gear rations

5. there brand new axles and hubs are new but not upgraded there factory replacemnt

6: i dont want to spend more than 1500 dollar total for lockers
AFE cold air
jet chips TBS
4 inch rustys spring pack
32 TSL (more like street slicks)
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a weekend warrior i reccomend a lock rite or some other type of locker that replaces the spider gears
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbs

Yup, either that or Powertrax No-Slip which is supposedly quieter but a little more expensive would work fine.

1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea the lockers that replace the spider gears do make noise, so far mine only makes noise in parking spots and turns similar to that, its not horrible tho just sounds like a ratchet
DannyG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OX front and back Razz
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are nice im sure but if they plan to go bigger, which it seems we all go bigger eventually, and then needed to regear, he would need a new locker because he changed the carrier but if he doesnt want to go bigger then he could go that route if he wanted to drop the cash

i may be wrong but it does seem like he wants to keep it on a budget, and for a weekend warrior for the price of one ox he could get 2 lunchbox lockers

i may be wrong im not positive on what his plans are.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: