Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! Engine lost power now huge oil puddle under front end?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atridingbear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Help! Engine lost power now huge oil puddle under front end? Reply with quote

Hey guys,
My wife was driving our 93 jeep Cherokee Sport home from work. She said it lost horse power then stalled out on her. By the time I got there to get her there was a large puddle (2' long 1' wide= IMO a big puddle) of oil under the front end. I only briefly lifted the hood due to the freezing weather but the front of the engine = serpentine belt, water pump, fans back side of radiator had oil splattered all over it. I'm a driveway weekend mechanic so any help in diagnosing this problem would be of great help.
Thanks for your time and effort it is greatly appreciated!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shitty , sounds like you blew a gasket or front crank seal . hopefully you didn't run it with no oil in it . were did it look like oil was gushing out of?

how much oil pressure does it have ?
atridingbear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil had already puddled and stopped by the time I got there. I just got it towed home a few minutes ago. For what and where should I look when I start it up?
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start it up (if it will) and check the oil pressure. I doubt it's a main seal...oil wouldn't evacuate the engine that quickly. My first guess would be the oil pressure switch. I worked at Valvoline for a few months and we had a GC come through with a loose oil pressure switch and it left a foot-wide trail of oil when it left the shop.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know
dancerman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check oil level before starting it. No oil, don't crank it. A puddle that big and no power sounds bad but hopefully it's only the pressure switch and not a hole in the block.
atridingbear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oil reads right on the line of add, but when I try to start it I get absolutely nothing. No cranking, clicking, nothing! My oil pressure switch above the oil filter and behind the distributer is dirty but free from oil. The oil seems to be all up front and on the hood where it looks like it was sprayed by the fan/belt. Any ideas?
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps its seized ? try and turn the engine over with a wrench on the crank, other wise check out your starter circuit . maybe that oil pressure switch wont allow it to crank over ( doubt it ) i would first try running a starter button from battery to the starter and see if it turns it over .
atridingbear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was checking it out today and found the source of the oil. There is a oil line or at least I think it's an oil line (it was covered and dripping it) and that runs up from under the engine toward the front of the car and curves towards the drivers side under the fan. The metal line fits into a rubber line and they separated some how (weak or loose clamp). So the oil all over the front end came from there and carried away by the serpentine belt and fan, or at least that's my assumption. I also checked the crank with a wrench and everything along the belt moves smoothly. I added oil after repairing the line, but it still doesn't want to start. The headlights don't dim actually the only light that dims is the radio, but I never noticed if it always did that or not. So any ideas now? Thanks everyone!
atridingbear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also checked the crank with a wrench and everything along the belt moves smoothly. When I turn the ignition everything electrical powers up but there's no clicking or any sound what so ever!?
Thanks everyone!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats your actual battery voltage ? check out some wire's is my suggestion . check for continuity from your starter to battery and from ignition to solenoid . check starter fuses . i would still try and run a wire straight from the battery to the solenoid on the starter and see if it will turn the engine over .
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Brad said, jump the starter.
dancerman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atridingbear wrote:
I was checking it out today and found the source of the oil. There is a oil line or at least I think it's an oil line (it was covered and dripping it) and that runs up from under the engine toward the front of the car and curves towards the drivers side under the fan. The metal line fits into a rubber line and they separated some how (weak or loose clamp). So the oil all over the front end came from there and carried away by the serpentine belt and fan, or at least that's my assumption. I also checked the crank with a wrench and everything along the belt moves smoothly. I added oil after repairing the line, but it still doesn't want to start. The headlights don't dim actually the only light that dims is the radio, but I never noticed if it always did that or not. So any ideas now? Thanks everyone!

Is it engine oil or transmission oil? Did you check the transmission oil level?
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: oil Reply with quote

Sounds like you're describing a tranny line that goes to the radiator for cooling. What color is the oil? Maybe some oil got in the starter or something else electrical making it not start/stall out. Also try starting it in neutral assuming it an automatic.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: