Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

engine noises ahhh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: engine noises ahhh Reply with quote

hey i have a 89 cherokee, 4.0L automatic, it had a cracked head when i bought it so i pulled the head, sent it in to be machined, had a valve job done on it, and new valve seals put in it, i then replaced the head gasket, put the head back on, replaced the water pump, thermostat, radiator, all radiator hoses, heater valve, anyways now my motor has a very loud tapping noise coming from the top of the motor in the front...the way i like to describe it is as "it sounds like a pushrod is guna come through the valve cover and bite me"...anyways i've checked the rocker arm bolts, the pushrods are fine, everything under the valve cover was fine, and the lifters sounded fine when i ran the motor before i did all this work on it, soo do i have a stuck lifter?? how would i know ?? thanks!!
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know?
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so a little update, i've been running about one quart of trans fluid in my jeeps motor for about a week now, and it seems to have cleared up the lifter...(or whatever it is) noise somewhat, but the noise is still there, thing is now it comes and goes, sometimes its there sometimes its not..any help much appreciated!
tonloco

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the outside temperture make a difference to the noise same with engine temp?
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it makes the noise more when the motor is warmed up, i dont think you even hear it when you first start it up takes about 5-10 min of idling before you start hearing it...outside air temperature doesnt make a difference
tonloco

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry bro but i am lost good luck finding your gremlin
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check all your pulleys... look in the grand cherokee section and in there a guy had similar engine noises and i think he said the tensor pulley was the culprit... good luck bro
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright will do...appreciate everyone's help
Jeep Autobot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: your engine gremlin Reply with quote

Is the noise definetly out of the top of the motor? If not, the following might be helpful.

I have a 92 Wragler w/4.0, and had/have a similar noise which I was sure was coming out of the top of the motor. It would do it only from time to time, and only when warmed up. I later found that it was actually the dampner settling back and rubbing the timing chain cover. Very slight pressure on the clutch or being on different grades would make it disappear, and I had just put in a new clutch so I knew it wasn't the throwout.

I pulled the dampner, and spaced it with a washer, figuring the sling washer on the otherside had not been put back on after a rebuild by a previous owner. The noise disappeared only to return about 8 months later, so I'm guessing that I have bad, well very bad, main bearings.

Don't know if this helps, but best of luck.
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm....maybe i'll check that out...i mean im pretty sure its coming from the top of the motor...it really sounds like a pushrod is guna come bite you through the valve cover honestly....but the noise is up towards the front of the motor so maybe...appreciate the help! i'll check that out thanks
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a classic inline 6 problem , the water pump is located on the #1 cylinder and it over cools it leading to premature wear in comparison to the other cylinders . good chance you need some rings or a bore , do a compression test , how many miles do you have on that engine?

there is a good chance its your piston slapping around in the cylinder it sounds similar to a lifter .

i would do a compression test and a leak down test first and work from there . my 89 does the same thing with 250 000 miles on the engine it has like 100 psi of compression in the first cylinder and 130-140 in the rest , i am personally swapping the engine out because i have a spare otherwise i would rebuild mine .

hopefully it's not a piston
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: