Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4.88 gears in my 95YJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdalin27

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: 4.88 gears in my 95YJ Reply with quote

I know the issue goes on and on, but I have recently purchased 4.88 gears for my 95 YJ. I am running 33's with the 2.5 and a manual trans. Since buying the jeep in July, 5th gear has been out of the question on the highways as i would struggle to hold 60mph in 4th. I know the charts say 4.56's would be optimal choice, but a friend talked me into the 4.88's. What can i expect with this change? Thanks.
sdalin27

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have some input for me? Tons of you all have looked, but no thoughts.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have faster acceleration with the 4.88's (not that it's going to be a race car or anything) but your gas mileage will suffer a bit.
sdalin27

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels like i am getting about 10mpg as it is with the current gearing. All i want is power in 5th gear so i can go over 55mph on the highway.
Clifford

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.88s would be awesome with 33s. That's what I want for mine...4.88s. I have the same setup as you and 5th gear is worthless.
sdalin27

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear. I bought the entire setup, but i am yet to put them it. My shop quoted me $600 to do the work. I have done all the work on my jeep so far, but gear swaps are new to me. Has anyone tackled this job themselves?
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should be peice of cake.. take off wheels maybe caliper rotor hub then drive shaft i cant member if all thats needed to get to the shafts.. i think so.. then open the screws on the diff IN THE ORDER YOUR HAYNES OR CHILTON says.. if you dont got one id get 1... then after you drain the diff and remove your old gears new ones pop in like wa la reverse and now your ride'n 488s!!!!! good luck man!! i hope you got those new gears locked? front and rear should go with out saying but you knew that! not everyone does tho... you gotta have the same gears in the front diff as you got in the back case anyone didnt know Wink
kaos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that some rather careful adjustment of the new gears was also needed?

--
Kári in Iceland
Clifford

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, setting up ring and pinion gears is somewhat technical. That's why MOST people end up paying a qualified shop to do the work. If you don't get those gears set up and meshed together just perfectly, they won't last long.
sdalin27

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has been my problem all along. I just shelled out $475 for the front and rear sets with rebuild kit and don't want to screw them up in a month. Is $600 the going rate to have both of the diffs done?
Clifford

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, for somebody who knows what they are doing...they can do each differential in about an hour. So two hours, maybe three tops. $600 for 2-3 hours of work seems REALLY high to me. If I were you, I'd check around for other options before I paid that much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: