Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! Rear Brake Pads - 2004 Grand Cherokee

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nd67

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Help! Rear Brake Pads - 2004 Grand Cherokee Reply with quote

For some reason I cant seem to locate the bolts that secure the caliper to the rear wheel assembly. Can someone tell me how to release the caliper from the wheel housing so I can replace the rear break pads. There are two bolts that have a rubber hood on them; when I turn the bolt inside the hood it turns and turns but does not come out. If someone can tell me which bolts I need to remove to release the caliper Id appreciate.

Thanks,

ND67
nd67

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake Pads - not Break Pads... it"s been a long day!
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think you have found the right bolts, they will turn for quite some time before they can be pulled out. The bolts that I have pulled off of my XJ and my mom's suburban were 3 or 4 inches long and the had to be turned a lot and then yanked out fairly forcefully. Good luck.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeyman is right, sounds like you got the correct caliper bolts. Try pulling them out with needle nose pliers. Sometimes the rubber holds them in there, but they will pull right out.
nd67

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

ND67
nd67

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow-up. I just finished the job. They were 7mm Hex bolts. I had to go to Home Depot today and but a allen wrench set. I hope this thread helps other folks who have the same problem.

Wonder why Jeep put regular old caliper bolts on the front and used hex bolts on the rear?

Cheers!

Nick
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nd67 wrote:

Wonder why Jeep put regular old caliper bolts on the front and used hex bolts on the rear?

Nick

because its a jeep they like to make sure nothing uses the same bolts as something similar to it , im surprised they didn't make one a t45 torque and one a 7mm Allen then one 7/16 and the other a m10 .

it's just sorta how they like to build things you get used to it and hate it constantly .

to bad there not Honda's you can just about disassemble a honda motorcycle with a combination 12mm /14mm and then i think a 18 mm for the axle , that includes rebuilding the engine , you might need a 8mm for that thow .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: