Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First time ever changing gaskets...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: First time ever changing gaskets... Reply with quote

so i got a rear main an the front gaskets.. this came with the cam waterpump i believe timing chain and a few others.. i know i have to drop the oil pan.. but after reading my haynes i wonder do i need an oil pan gasket? what RTV is best to useon the othergaskets? i was told i shouldnt use rtv on the oil pan gasket..i have some RTV black but is the red better for the other gaskets? thanks a lot yall
cajzmere

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil pan gasket is not necessary unless yours gets beat up coming off. I actually used the blue stuff (sensor safe), on my water pump, seems to be working 1 yr. later.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet ill go with the blue then.. i already have black.. i wonder what the differance is? no new gasket you say? and no leaks? hmmm it is 30 bucks.... i d like to get away with not buying one but id like it to leak free as well
cajzmere

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a rtv freak. I put a small bit around the bolt holes on my oil pan just because. Check your gasket well for cracks, cuts or crushed spots. It's a rubber piece that goes all the way around, and sits in it's own little indent in the pan itself. Biggest thing for leaks not related to gasket is dirty, scored block mating surface. Check it good too! Before u put pan back, clean with denatured alcohol or acetone and let dry completely. That will keep any nasties from making a channel in ur seal. R u doing the rear main seal too?
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya figured this oil change id fix all leaks since you gotta drop the pan to get to em... im doin the rear main all front gaskets and ive decided to just go ahead and do the oil pan gasket... might as well start off fresh.. what side of the gasket gets rtv? does it matter and what side is up for the timeing chain and water pump gasket? i got the front gaskets at like 18 bucks.. it has as i can see 1 timing chain gasket 1 water pump gasket and one similar to the water pump.. maybe oil pump gasket? and then the camshaft seal and then this wierd circle one that i cant figure out.. i think i really might have bit off a lot more then i can chew.. but fa kit.. i aint gonna pay some one waaaayyy to much for a simple lil chore! thanks for the help... im gonna buy the oil pan gasket tomarrow.. figure... why not? couldn hurt...

cajzmere the song? and is that how you spell it?it looks wierd if so...
SO RTV man where exactly do i rtv? im down to go crazy but with a prurpse.. i dont wanna rtv the whole freagn thing with an outside rubber seal but i definately will be pist if i see ANY leakage after this gasket over hall
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with Permatex brand RTV the blue is sensor safe 500 F
red or orange is high temp 650 F
black is the most oil resistant 500 F
there is also copper 700 F (the best of everything but really expensive)

they also have special water pump silicone formulated to hold up better against ethylene glycol , if you run propylene glycol then it doesn't matter because it doesn't eat gaskets .

you want to put the RTV on the block side when putting on a oil pan or anything else so you don't put RTV in the bolt holes and you are less likely to get it in the engine .

don't go crazy with the RTV (im sure your done by now but figured id tell you what all the pretty colored RTV's do) i usually just use blue or orange for everything . i have only used copper on my motorcycle but that thing is a little different then my jeep .

so does it still leak ?
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not bad... but i noticed some new oil leakage in the front.. i didnt do the the crankshaft or front gaskets cuz i wasnt prepared to flush my radiator.. i think next weekend ima do a radiator flush and tranny flush and then change the gaskets in front then.. good info on the rtv tho thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: