Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad idle at startup?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stewart42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Bad idle at startup? Reply with quote

Hi
I have a 96 4.0L Grand Cherokee, when I start it in the morning or from cold it idles really bad struggles to drive off (coughing and spluttering), then as soon as it builds up some heat it clears itself and runs nice idles great. Sometimes the fault is not there other times it is there every day, also my fuel consumption has gotten worst. I replaced the IAV with a new one from the dealer but it made no difference, has anyone any idea what I should look at as I don't want to keep replacing sensors at dealer prices when I don't need them?
Thanks for your help
Stewart
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My jeep does that when the TPS is bad..

It will barely run at all til it warms up... Change the TPS all is well ..(Til next time..)

Might also check the Intake temp sensors ..(air charge temp sensor I think its called)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nori

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read throughout many threads here about the TPS going bad resulting in bad engine idle (as I believe mine is doing the same).

swamp boy wrote:
(Til next time..)

Why does TPS goes bad so easily and what causes it? Is there a way I can protect the next investment from going bad in a few years? i.e. cover it up with something and/or greasing it.

I went to my local Jeep dealer and they are asking for $110. Sad I'm going to have to look elsewhere with the Dodge brand and forget this dealer.

EDIT: I just found something that might explain this, although I have no clue but here it is.

Quote:
Some newer Chrysler/Jeep vehicles have a horn circuit that will short 12 V through the air bag clock spring to the 5 V cruise control switch circuit. The 12 V signal on this wire will confuse the computer and result in the high TPS voltage.

swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a 5.2 you can get a dodge truck tps from autozone for under $30

no way to protect it that I know of I usually lose 1 a year...

Could be worse.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nori

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Swamp,

Yeah, I have 5.2L engine as well so I'll look up the part # somewhere in this forum where you mentioned it and get it from autozone. I'll get 2 and keep one in my garage too. Thank you for the previous posts, it helped me a lot with many issues and I've been doing it by myself.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I was able to help...

nori

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no one here posted the pictures of TPS, I thought to take some photos for those who wonder how it looks like. Here they are: (these pictures are for V8 5.2L engine ZJ)

Like my clean engine compartment? Mr. Green
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good post ill be changing mine shortly.. what year and make did you tell em at auto zone? any dodge 2500 with a 5.2 or a certain year? i like the pics and detail, you made it so easy a monkey could do it!! Razz
nori

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DankNesS wrote:
what year and make did you tell em at auto zone?

I just went in and told them I needed a TPS for my Jeep [95' V8 5.2L], they looked it up in the computer and got me this one. I asked about the Dodge brand but they said they only carry Wells brand (aftermarket), which I remember someone in this forum mentioned about this.

It comes with 1 year warranty but as Swamp said, they go bad pretty quickly so be sure to keep the receipt in case it does go bad within a year. It should only take you about 2 minutes to change this little thing. lol
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right on man.. ima switch mine jus cause im sure it has never been and im pushin 107k.. hopefully ill notice somethin.. if not.. at least itll be shiney!! bwa ha ha
RussellRowell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your nuts for going out and just changing things cause it hasn't been done. Wasted money! And why would your TPS be going bad all the time unless it's water over the engine causing it (Swampy). My jeep has 260k+ and thought my TPS could be bad from all the reading I did on here. So I went looking thru my service manual, and found this test I could do with a multi meter. 5 minutes and I knew my TPS was good.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e81/RussellRowell/TPSTest.jpg

I say make sure your vaccum system is in tip top shape (NO LEAKS) and your jeep will run great.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e81/RussellRowell/5.jpg
NP249 / 5.2 / MB Motoring Rims/ 1500 watts

Last edited by RussellRowell on Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
viper24242

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice picks nori. How do you keep your engine so clean?
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
nori

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viper24242 wrote:
Nice picks nori. How do you keep your engine so clean?

When it gets nasty inside, I take it to cleaning service. Cover all the electrical stuff GOOD.. I forgot to cover the TPS so that probably explains why it went bad on me. Though, cleaning engine compartment makes servicing much more pleasant.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: