Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[ZJ] Need help on changing alternator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nori

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: [ZJ] Need help on changing alternator Reply with quote

This is my first time changing alternator to a new meangreen alternator, before I go on messing up my Jeep, I want to get some input on what I should be watch out for.

I have been reading the Haynes manual on this topic. From what I got, I need to:

1. Detach negative battery terminal.
2. Loosen tension on surpentine drivebelt tensioner.
3. Remove old alternator.
4. Install new one and put back the belt correctly fit in the pulley grooves.
5. Reconnect wires.
6. Tighten surpentine drivebelt tensioner and correctly adjust indexing arrow, not to go beyond point A on tensioner housing.
7. Let the car run a few minutes and allow the voltage to stablize. Check voltage.
8. Stop engine and re-check belt tension.

While I'm at this, I'll also be checking on the condition of the drivebelt.

Is there any critical steps/precautions that I'm missing here? Thanks for your input. Once I start, I can also post photos on this to help out others who's planning to do the same.
nori

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind.. I got impatient and started helping myself with the Haynes manual but read the safety section first knowing I always mess things up and hurt myself.

Everything went smoothly and now I have a brand new meangreen alternator in a very short time Mr. Green Pictures will follow very soon for other noobs like me who wants visuals.

Disclaimer: I'm not a trained mechanic, please do it at your own risk. The following images are provided as a reference.

Last edited by nori on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were too quick - yes, that's basically it. Wink
drew42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo' Doctor . You healed me all too well Very Happy . Had to help a co-worker with the same thing yesterday Cool . But on a Chevy Blazer Wink tool . Good job!!!
nori

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now.. one thing that the manual doesn't tell me is what I should do with the old one. It's not completely bad (it just reads very low voltage) and I just wanted to change to a higher capacity meangreen alternator since I have two batteries in the car.

Now I'm stuck with the spare alternator that I know it probably takes someone to rebuild this thing into new again and give it to someone who needs it. Who are they call and how can I turn this in? What do people usually do with old alternator other than taking it into a junk yard...?

Your input is much appreciated.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i upgraded to a 5.9 altenator that pushes near 130 amps i believe and this is what i did with my old one

rofl rofl rofl rofl
if yours still works save it for a spare... ya never know when the mean green is gonna stop bein mean.. good to have a spare jus incase Very Happy
cajzmere

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save it for the next time you make trip to the junkyard. Take it with you and ask how much they'll swap for....Autozone wants $35 for the "core" deposit on an alternator. I had mine rebuilt for $45, (thanks Golden Alternator!!) and cranked up to 125 amps.
589Outlaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for those of you with the 4.0 engine...those pictures will throw you off. As I discovered this weekend, the alternator is underneath the AC compressor. Woo hoo!

nori

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha that sux dude... but thanks for the cover on 4.0L. BTW.. make sure the electrical connections to the alternator is very *tight* or else your PCM will spew out all sorts of codes... not fun.. also make sure the surpentine belt is fit on the right ridges or you'll start hearing some flopping noise from the belt Mr. Green

I'm such a noob rofl but I'm married to my Jeep.

P.S. you need to clean your battery terminals. Mr. Green
589Outlaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha... rofl I actually noticed the same thing when I was putting the alternator in. I went ahead and cleaned them up.

rssnrocket9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pics pretty helpful good job nori
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: