Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4x4 problem

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: 4x4 problem Reply with quote

I have a '97 XJ and I was out doing some wheeling the other day when I noticed my front drivers side tire wasnt doing anything when in 4-low. is this a problem? do I need a locker? help would be appreciated!!!
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_%28mechanics%29

These links explain how a differential works, and why one of your tires is not moving even though you're supposedly in 4WD, which is called OPEN differential. This is why so many offroaders invest in either limited slip diffs or all-out lockers, so that the torque is spread out to the tires that need the load more than the ones spinning freely.

Limited slips supply power to both tires ONLY when specific needs arise, then the LS engages and supplies power to both front or rear tires depending on which diff has the LS installed. This is so that when on normal road conditions, the wheels act like open diff and keep tire wear down to normal. The flipside to this is you'll never know PRECISELY when the LS is planning to engage, or if it's going to engage at all.

Lockers are ALWAYS on unless a switching system is installed (Air Lockers, Electric Lockers, etc) that engages/disengages them. While this is beneficial for offroading, it adds more wear and tear on the tires when on the road and engaged, because the wheels are now moving at the same rate all the time, even when turning. So now the tire tread is biting more into the pavement than before, causing more tread wear to occur. This can also cause steering to feel funny when turning at speed and takes a little bit of getting used to.

HTH

1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of wheeling do you do? If you just have a weekend warrior and some occasional wheeling I would recomend a limited slip, If you wheel quite frequently then I would recomend some type of locker

In response to the question if you need a locker, that is entirely up to you? Some questions you may ask yourself to help come to a conclusion would be:
1) How often do I wheel?
2)Is the added traction worth the sacrifice of tire wear?
3)Do I plan to go to more difficult places to wheel?

those are just questions to help you decide
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10544

Here's another link on the same type of discussion.

DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

limited suck if you ask me.. just my 2 cents.. might be a lil better if in the front.. i dunno they are not smart and ALWAYS give the wrong tire power when climbing hills and off roading.. YOU MUST be locked to get down. bottom line. locking front and rear does as much if not more for your jeep then lift does in terms of how far you can go. take it from me i have LS and its great on icey roads.. but i get stuck like chuck on some bullshit ass shit and i still have the 242 with LOW LOCK... bs man... lock it up! for the front id get a locker that A. disengages when you turn or B. is a ls locker that you turn the locker on or off with a button - unless you arent gonna be using part time or if you have a 231 then wont be doin much street 4x4 jus get it fully locked... if you want to go cheap till you get bigger axles like me check out some lock right s on ebasy.. it might be 1 word.. good luck man
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude i dont know why you are talking bad about the nv242 transfer case. its a truly bitchin all around case and predominantly stronger than the venerable 231. i love my 242 with stock l/s and it walks up and over terrain that my buddy's 231 open has to charge and try 3-4 times to make it up the same rutted hill i just cruised up
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know why your talkin bad about LS either, I have a LS in my grand and I keep up with my friends and they are locked in the rear, I guess its all a matter of opinion. Some people dont want a full blown locker but rather would like to have some more traction. Likewise the LS doesnt give the traction that a locker does but it does give more traction than an open diff and is not as hard on the tires and other drivetrain components. So its a matter of wear and tear for added traction, or longer life of components with the sacrfice of the locked traction.

However, back to the point, they asked if they needed a locker, so ultimately the decision is up the them. Bashing one upgrade verses the other does not really help someone in the long run. If you convince them to do an upgrade you would do and they are not happy with the results makes the upgrade not much of an upgrade.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy point well taken... im not tryin to bash one way or another.. i was letting him konw if 4x4 off roading is his main concern than he needs to be fully locked front and rear to get down with the big dawgs.. I MYSELF have l/s front and rear and it is poopey for me.. i have been stuck on some stupid ass lil hills that it just needed to give the other tire power and id be all good. so ya it is jus my opinion.. after being stuck plenty of times and not traversing plenty of hills i knew my 318 outa destroy im against l/s. if you drive in a lot of wet road conditions icey roads and are very concerned with tire wear and some drivetrain wear which would be beafed up aswell if offroading was its main purpose, then maybe ls is for you. i hate it. limited suck or limited stuck is what we named mine when i had to get pulled out by my friends wrangler.. so shop wisely! i know you can get a limited slip locker= best route in my eyes..

about the 242.. it is a great tcase and with all the different options part time full time what not makes it more versitile than the 231hd.. but if you reasearch it is all the different settings that make it ultimately weaker than the 231hd.. im pretty sure the 231 is stronger too but the hd is what ima go for cuz im pushin 300 hp
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure the clutches in your LS are still good? They can be rebuilt you know.
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you might need to research a bit more on strength comparisons between the 231 an 242. The 242 is a much burlier and stronger case. the 231 is a light-duty case and only truly meant for small jeeps(yes it can be upgraded to 32 spline output shaft...blah blah blah,)
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES the 231 is simpler in drivetrain configuration, but its still only 231 and not up in the strength department as the 241/242 t-cases are. they have used the 241 cases in fullsize trucks for years. All though the 242 was never used in a fullsize truck its still a 4 series t-case where as the 231 is only a 3 series t-case. all in all the 242 is a much stronger case and if you have one in your jeep keep it.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

close... actually almost had me goin for a secound..... re read my post please Cool

2 3 1 h d........ H eavy D uty.

it comes in dodge 1500's with v8's 5.2 and 5.9... since everyone in here has lil inline sixes you are all very confused as to what im talking about.. a 231 hd might not even mount up for you guys with out a conversion kit or somethin Finger look in the grand cherokee section or better do a search on 231 vs 242... actually just pm swamp boy... he shattered a 242 into a bunch of pieces.. so he UPGRADED to a STRONGER tcase but loss the partime and full time option and got a 231HD transfer case out of a dodge truck.. as will i. i thought long and hard bout the 242 cuz of the part time and full time are a great plus in the rain or snow... but its a weaker case for my V8 power so im gonna get the 231. good luck on your research!!!!! rofl rofl
Ptown_bogger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well then your not comparing apples to apples here are you buddy. an hd case is definetly gonna be stronger then the standard 231 or even 242. but if you wanna compare apples to apples the 241hd is still stronger then the 231hd. oh and by the way...i understand you have the v8, and it might be slightly faster then the venerable I6, but you dont have to belittle someone else's motor or t-case just cause it makes you feel superior. some things work just fine for people.......and 95% of every single Grand Cherokee owner with a V8 that i have met on the trail, has never shown anyone else consideration and shown no respect for the trail and people around. always using way too much throttle trying to over compensate for know-how or lack there of. Maybe your l/s doesnt work cause you stand with your foot on the throttle and wear out your clutches. bottom line dont be a jack ass bud
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ptown_bogger wrote:
well then your not comparing apples to apples here are you buddy. an hd case is definetly gonna be stronger then the standard 231 or even 242. but if you wanna compare apples to apples the 241hd is still stronger then the 231hd. oh and by the way...i understand you have the v8, and it might be slightly faster then the venerable I6, but you dont have to belittle someone else's motor or t-case just cause it makes you feel superior. some things work just fine for people.......and 95% of every single Grand Cherokee owner with a V8 that i have met on the trail, has never shown anyone else consideration and shown no respect for the trail and people around. always using way too much throttle trying to over compensate for know-how or lack there of. Maybe your l/s doesnt work cause you stand with your foot on the throttle and wear out your clutches. bottom line dont be a jack ass bud

Bout time someone spoke up about V8 GC owners. I'd bet my rig that my I6 would outlive that POS 5.2
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep on topic, this thread isnt about bashing tcase or whos motor is better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: