Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[ZJ] Rust under the car

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nori

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: [ZJ] Rust under the car Reply with quote

Can anyone here recommend me what I need to do to stop this corrosion from salt sprayed on the road? Should I leave it as is, or would this cause problems in the future? Thanks.

cajzmere

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to car wash, spray REAL good under there, let it dry or use a blower to dry. Get 4 cans of undercoating, tape newspaper over any electrical and bearing surfaces, and go to freakin' town with that coating, spray it on thicker than s***! I did this with a '84 Camaro and the underbody was the only thing that wasn't rusted horribly 10 years later. That's the DIY option. Otherwise, take that thing to your nearest undercoating place, like Ziebart, and pay them. Looks pretty clean for now...... if you want to keep it like that, act fast.
nori

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some searching after your comment and found out there's one step you can add before spraying the undercoat.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/rustfix.html

It eats away rust and turns it into a black primer on contact. I'll try this product in the next few days before undercoating, and if it all works good, I'll post some images. Thx for the reply cajzmere.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like to know how it went/ goes.. my under carrige looks very similar to yours too.. although i took out my " skid plate" that doesnt really protect jack.. accept.. nothin.. im kinda hurtn to find a new place for my easy dissconnects post when i dissconnect em, but with out the skid plate i can take off the whole bar pretty easy so we shall see.. if anyone has em mounted some where else id love to see.. i got JKS disconnects.. maybe i should make a thread my bad.. id love to see how it turns out.. i was thinkin ryno line.. but $$$ and i dunno the full scoop on it yet either
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before undercoating you should definitely use a rust converter other wise it will just trap rust and it will accelerate the process . rust converter is cheep and easy to use .

undercoating is usually done to a brand new vehicle . if its done afterwards over rust you just get in a worse mess .

i wish my xj only had that much rust underneath .
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know of a good rust converter? i had a battery problem and upon filling the water a few times i spilt enough battery acid/ water down to rust the frame and under carrige pretty good.. id love to get er looking black again
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should neutralize the battery acid with solution of one-pound baking soda to one gallon of water to help neutralize the acid and prevent corrosion. It's pretty cool, it bubbles like pouring peroxide on a cut.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think she pretty much done.. maybe ill do it any way.. it was probably over a year ago and i have had the optima red top for the same... my system jus killed the battery i bought it with... is it still a good idea to hit it up wit bakingsoda/water? i think its done did its work but if its still slowly eating away i probably need to do it.. i want to find a good rust stabalizer... and paint it to keep it cherry...
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use plasti-Koat rust converter
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: