Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tranny problem?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
irate808

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Tranny problem? Reply with quote

I need some advice about my transmission. Ill be cruising right along, and right when it should shift up to a higher gear, it hesitates and the rpm's go up about 500 rpm, then it shifts, but with a jerk. I just bought the jeep, and it has 111,000 miles on it. I already checked the trans fluid and it is okay
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a tranny flush and use synthetic tranny fluid when you refill.. when you flush it look for metal shavings or chunks as indcation of tranny wear.. thats all i can reccomend.. short of rebuilding it or changing out the clutches
irate808

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I will do that. Oh, and by the way, its an automatic.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i figured as much.. mine too... synhtetic is still the way to go
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthetic isn't always the best option . it doesn't swell seals up like crude oil does so it can cause leaks also you can't go back to normal oil . sounds more like there is something wrong with your torque converter (not locking up at the right time)

metal shavings aren't so much a problem in auto's but fiber is (pieces of your clutch plates) which can be broken apart by a flush and then adding synthetic .

personally i wouldn't switch anything over to synthetic unless it was brand new or i was having overheating problems .
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i suppose so.. i converted my engine over from regular to synthetic at 90k... im all about royal purple and all their products.. i run their engine oil and im gonna convert to their tranny fluid and diff fluid within the month... im having some late shift issues and a slightly rough shift from 1-2... i will let you know how it works out for me
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would first look and smell the fluid if its burnt color and smell then dont waste time with a flush, your gonna just cook the trans faster, if thats the case start looking for a replacement or a rebuild.

If the fluid is good then drop the pan and examine the fluid. If it has grayish coloring mixed in the clutches need to be replaced, metal shavings could indicate the torque converter is going out, common with the mopar converters, or there is some other wear through the trans, very very small shavings would not concern me as much as larger shavings

oh and if you do need a rebuild, install and mild shift kit, big trans cooler and drill out the oil lines in the valve body, this allows more fluid to flow helping it run cooler, you can also drill out part of the valve body that lets fluid flow in park as well
Tardis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of Jeep do you have, i.e. year, engine, trans? This would narrow down what's wrong with you're particular trans. They all have their own unique issues.
Trans fluid:
I was never sold on synthetic trans fluid. Good old ATF Dexron III is more than adequate for any trans.
I recommend Type F for people with built/performance trannys. A little know fact, B&M Trickshift has the same additives as Type F.
A transmissions worst enemies are heat, dirt and water. If you keep the heat down, the fluid clean, and the water out you're good to go.
irate808

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 96 grand cherokee(zj) automatic with the 4.0 liter straight 6.
Tardis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That narrows it down. Your ZJ has a 42RE trans, the same one Jeep's been using in Grand Cherokees since 1993. A common problem with those trannys is the Governor Solenoid, and Governor Solenoid Pressure Switch/Sensor. They get weak after a lot of miles and create shifting issues. I'll bet money that one if not both of these parts are on there way out in your transmission. Your upshifting problem is the first sign of this. The parts are not expensive, it's the labor cost the tranny shop charges that will kill you. Find a reputable transmission/repair shop, and have them run a PCM scan, and a pressure test on your trans.

For the tech savvy folks here...
42/44RE trannys are variations of the Chyrsler 727/904 with an overdrive circuit added. Kinda like GM trannys, 700R4/4L60=TH350 w/overdrive, 4L80=TH400 w/overdrive.
AW4's are Aisin/Warner built trannys, (found in most Jap cars/trucks, and all Toyota's) These trannys last the longest, and with the least amount of problems.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good info tardis, aw4 is also in the cherokees and a severe PITA to rebuild if they need it
Tardis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
good info tardis, aw4 is also in the cherokees and a severe PITA to rebuild if they need it

They're not too bad. A lot of small parts, misc bands, etc, but otherwise a simple design.
irate808

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tardis wrote:
That narrows it down. Your ZJ has a 42RE trans, the same one Jeep's been using in Grand Cherokees since 1993. A common problem with those trannys is the Governor Solenoid, and Governor Solenoid Pressure Switch/Sensor. They get weak after a lot of miles and create shifting issues. I'll bet money that one if not both of these parts are on there way out in your transmission. Your upshifting problem is the first sign of this. The parts are not expensive, it's the labor cost the tranny shop charges that will kill you. Find a reputable transmission/repair shop, and have them run a PCM scan, and a pressure test on your trans.

For the tech savvy folks here...
42/44RE trannys are variations of the Chyrsler 727/904 with an overdrive circuit added. Kinda like GM trannys, 700R4/4L60=TH350 w/overdrive, 4L80=TH400 w/overdrive.
AW4's are Aisin/Warner built trannys, (found in most Jap cars/trucks, and all Toyota's) These trannys last the longest, and with the least amount of problems.

Thanks for the info! Ill check those out. Peace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: