Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Budget TJ Build

View previous topic :: View next topic  
killwhytey07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Budget TJ Build Reply with quote

I'm trying to help a friend out with his TJ, I talked him into buying it last year, and now he wants to start moding it a little, for better off-road performance.

Already got some advice when it comes to intakes earlier (thanks again guys). But now he wants to do a small lift, and some other things and I was hoping you could give me some advice for him once again.

He wants to do a 2 inch suspension lift, and first he wanted to just do spacers, but now he's thinking about a skyjacker kit I believe, that replaces the coils and shocks for about $300, he would also then need a track bar relocation bracket correct? And any opinions on these kits if you have them.

Next he's looking at a pair of bushwacker rocker guards for $60, but the price kinda leads me to believe that they're not going to give the best protection. anyone have any experience with these?

And finally what off-road lights would you recomend? He's looking at a set of KC daylighters for about $120

Any suggestions on this stuff, or anything else you think he should have would be great!

By the way, he's looking to run 31's for now, and the type of trails we usually run invlove more mud than anything, some hill climbs, but nothing extreme. all these products, he's finding in JC Whitney.
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget TJ Build Reply with quote

killwhytey07 wrote:
He wants to do a 2 inch suspension lift, and first he wanted to just do spacers, but now he's thinking about a skyjacker kit I believe, that replaces the coils and shocks for about $300, he would also then need a track bar relocation bracket correct? And any opinions on these kits if you have them.

Get a Rubicon Express Budget Boost and don't waste the money on Skycrapper.
Quote:
Next he's looking at a pair of bushwacker rocker guards for $60, but the price kinda leads me to believe that they're not going to give the best protection. anyone have any experience with these?

They're plastic and aren't going to guard shit other than paint scuffs and scratches. Rock, obstacles, trees, etc will rip them right off. If he wants some real rocker protection, look into Rokmen rock sliders at www.rokmen.com.
Quote:
And finally what off-road lights would you recomend? He's looking at a set of KC daylighters for about $120

I don't know too many people that wheel at night. Offroad lights aren't going to do much. They are one of those kewl things new Jeepers must do though to look tough. I honestly recommend not wasting time with them. If he wants truely better lighting, get a set of the IPF replacement housings and the Magic J bulbs in 55/60W rating.
Quote:
all these products, he's finding in JC Whitney.

Have him put down the JCWhitney catalog and start browsing some good vendors.

www.northridge4x4.com
www.4x4rockshop.com

Hell, even Quadratec and 4WD Hardware are better than JCWhitney when it comes to Jeep stuff.

Last edited by ehirner on Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddies and I go out at night quite often. Bonfires just aren't the same during the day, neither is night fishing. In the warmer months we're out almost every weekend with a huge fire and plenty of steak, sausage, baked potatoes, etc.. I like to have my lights pointing just under where the headlights hit the trail. I think the extra lighting helps a lot. Brighter headlights are a very good upgrade, but they wouldn't hit there. I would say to get a cheap set of lights with at least 55w. That way if they get damaged it's not a big deal.
killwhytey07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea, he is in it to save money. And he's not really new to four-wheeling... moved up from quads and bikes to a Jeep once he got his lisence. And believe or not, we night wheel a lot. Just mostly mud bogging, and field hopping, but the stock lights don't really cut it when you're in the middle of the woods at midnight haha.

What do you guys think of pro-comps budget boost? It's a better deal than the skyjacker, and I'm assuming better quality.

And I talked him out of those crap "rocker guards" after I looked them up. I told him his money would be better spent on sway bar quick disconnects. Agreed?
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killwhytey07 wrote:
What do you guys think of pro-comps budget boost? It's a better deal than the skyjacker, and I'm assuming better quality.

Get the Rubicon Express Budget Boost. Procomp is not considered quality.

Quote:
And I talked him out of those crap "rocker guards" after I looked them up. I told him his money would be better spent on sway bar quick disconnects. Agreed?

Discos are certainly better than those plastic rocker protection. Check out the JKS quicker discos. Or if you really want budget...cut, sleeve, and reweld the stock swaybar links and replace the torx bolts with one having regular hex heads.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're gonna need rear bumpstop extensions. So either get a kit that includes them or order them seperate. The rear spacers won't work without them. You asked before about the track bar. It has to be addressed either by relocation or an adjustable bar. Definitely get the disco's over the plastic gaurds. If you're going the budget route, then like ehirner said make them yourself. The lift and disco's will make a huge difference off road. Your buddy will be able to get 31's no problem.
killwhytey07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so far I've gathered he will need track bar relocation, rear bumpstop extension, shocks, and spacers for the lift to be succesful.

The main reason he's looking at the pro-comp kit is because it comes with longer coils, instead of spacers. And his stock coils are real worn out, to the point that the front sags an inch or two below the rear. So with these he hoping to get it back to stock, then lift it 2" instead of putting the rear up 2" and the front up to stock.

ehirner, does rubicon express have a system with replacment coils, that he's not going to have driveline problems with, for under 350? I can't find one meeting those requirments in any catalog, or website... maybe special order or something?

Also, we don't really have to tools to cut, weld, and be confident enough to take it on the trail, so he will probably just spring for the JKS quick discos.

Where do you guys order from, I used to buy out of quadratec, and never had any huge problems, but it wasn't pleasant.
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I and many others use Quadratec as a "Sears Christmas catalog" rofl to look at stuff we might want, then go to places like 4x4 Rock Shop, OK4WD, or other internet houses to order what we want. It's always important to shop around for deals.

TJgirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushwacker makes nice fender flares!
if you want rocker guards go warren or sun, just my two cents!
killwhytey07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was at work yesterday (I work with the friend whos TJ is being discused here) and he drove the left front tire up onto a snow drift, leaving the right front on the ground. When I looked at it, I noticed that it was flexing an awful lot for a stock setup, and under closer inspection, i noticed the front right sway bar connection is so rusted, the ball moves in and out of the socket. The left side is ok, and I guess it's been like this for a while. I've driven the jeep a lot, and it doesn't feel terrible on the road, but I doubt it's where it should be handling wise. So my question is, will sway bar quick disco's fix this rust problem, or is it gonna have to completely replaced?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you buy disco's they will replace the link on both sides. I'm assuming you're talking about the pivot joint at the top of the link where it connects to the sway bar.

Here's a couple catalogs to browse through.
http://www.4wd.com/request-a-catalog.aspx
http://www.quadratec.com/free_jeep_parts_catalog/
http://www.4wheelparts.com/CatalogReq.aspx

Free magazine.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/ORASubscription.aspx

ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killwhytey07 wrote:
So I was at work yesterday (I work with the friend whos TJ is being discused here) and he drove the left front tire up onto a snow drift, leaving the right front on the ground. When I looked at it, I noticed that it was flexing an awful lot for a stock setup, and under closer inspection, i noticed the front right sway bar connection is so rusted, the ball moves in and out of the socket. The left side is ok, and I guess it's been like this for a while. I've driven the jeep a lot, and it doesn't feel terrible on the road, but I doubt it's where it should be handling wise. So my question is, will sway bar quick disco's fix this rust problem, or is it gonna have to completely replaced?

It's a common problem. The ball and socket joint wears over time and pops out. Aftermarket sway links will replace the stock links entirely.
killwhytey07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that's good to hear.

Thanks a lot to all you guys who have given input, you guys are great Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: