Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear main oil seal problem please help need to finish quick

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Rear main oil seal problem please help need to finish quick Reply with quote

well.. i had 2 days off and wasnt able to finish my rear main.. i was also working on the front gaskets until after i took all the accersories off and the rack i got to the water pump and realized i had to drain the radiator.. i wasnt to down for that at this time so i opted to hold off.. now almost done with the rear main but so so far away from being done aswell.. i have everything off oil pan and pump etc to that poin but i cant figure out how to get the bearing cap off.. i took off the two bolts and nothing.. and help would be great.. i really dont want to give up and put it back together with the original seal after comming this damn far.... thanks anyone and everyone for you input
cajzmere

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should just be able to small "tap" with something NOT metal and have it pop off. The seal that's inside the engine needs to be pushed out with something soft metal,(like brass so not to scratch steel surface)until you get enough so's you can grab it and yank it the rest of the way out. Let me know how you fare!! I'll check back.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o m f g..... i was unable to finish last night and like a dumb ass trusting the weather.. and not having a garage Crying or Very sad i left my naked engine alone today while i went to work and mother nature bit my ass for it... it was soooo windy today.. im actually horrified to even go look and asses the damage... what should i use to clean my engines insides with? im so sure it is just caked with dirt... i deserve it.. some lessons are best learned hard.... thanks for the input
cajzmere

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use some kind of spray engine cleaner like gunk or autobrite, READ LABELS and see if it's ok for seals. Any of them will probably be OK. Good Luck man. BTW I use garbage bags and ducktape to cover up for any extended lengths of time<--- No indoor garage either. Sad
Amost forgot, make sure you TORQUE your bearing cap proper after u put it back, don't guess...otherwise you'll kill the bearing material.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-4.... i know i thought about the trash bag... not until i was at work of course... Evil or Very Mad do you think engine degreaser would work? i thought not.. but possibly... im gonna wipe wat i can off with a shop rag..i will definately torque to spec.. those sobs were on there SUPER tight i got a tourque wrench... do you konw what to tourque the bolts to?
nori

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man.. I wish I can help but being such a noob, I really have nothing to say other than trying to learn from that lesson and use some kind of cleaner out there like http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/7473/124 ... I'll probably go to autozone today so I'll ask around.

Since you're at it, you could probably get into cleaning your engine compartment too... anyway.. good luck and don't forget the trash bags with tapes too (since you said it's windy).
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks for the link... dont sweat it.. you will soon not be a noob.. you already changed your altenator so you got as much experience as i did when i got my jeep.... jus follow directions and remember how everything came off then torque to spec... the hardest part is having all the right tools and parts... after that its a breeze pretty straight forward
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: