Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cruise Control Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dingodave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Cruise Control Problem Reply with quote

Hello all, this is my first post but I have been using this forum for a few months now and I must say well done to everyone who has contributed to it success as It has allowed me to answerer loads of my questions regarding my 93 Cherokee xj 4.0L HO but I am now struggling with a problem with my cruise control.

The cruise Control has never worked since I bought it last year and although it is not essential I would like it to work.

When engaging the cruise I do not get any lights on the dash to signal it being on or otherwise, I am aware of a mechanical defect with the Cruise Control Cable at the throttle assembly, it’s has snapped but would this stop the lights from showing on the dash?
I have not replaced the cable as of yet but I have jerryrigged it together but it made no difference.
I am not sure what fuse it would be listed as but I have checked all the fuses in side and under the hood and they are all ok, also I can not find any inline fuse.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
David.

Cherokee XJ 93 4.0L HO (Right Hand Drive)
AllanAlxndr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if there is a light or not... My 95 does not have a light either, but it works fine without a light... interesting in hearing what you find and what others have to say.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: cruise Reply with quote

I had a cruise control issue in a Caravan, the clockspring went bad. Just a thought.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
kaos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a '93 XJ 4.0L myself and there is no warning light. Are you sure that your repair doesn't leave excessive slack in the cable? The actuator has a limited amount of travel. Of course there are plenty of other possibilities: Vacuum problem, vacuum valve(s) and the actuator itself to name but a few. One of the problems with troubleshooting the cruise control is that it doesn't work at all until at near highway speeds Sad .

Personally, I would start by eliminating that cable as a possible culprit. Replace it if you aren't certain that your repair is tight and stable. If that doesn't solve it, I would look at the vacuum system. Possibly a previous owner "simplified it" somewhat? (It's been known to happen.) Only after I had satisfied myself that the mechanical and vacuum components were working, would I stard tracing the electrics.

HTH
--
Kári in Iceland
jppilot61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at vacuum lines on my 92 XJ, then discovered a broken wire on steering column (in the cruise control switch where cable doubled over). I found the break and just spliced it back together. It now works like a champ!

(NO Indicator lights on dash on mine either!)

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
dingodave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it has never worked since I had it I didn’t realise that the dash did not have any indication that it would be engaged.

I readjusted the tension in my cable repair and then did another road test this time at above 40MPH and that did the trick, I am now cruising. Very Happy

Thank you all for your advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: