Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOME MADE TC ARMOR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooperZJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: HOME MADE TC ARMOR Reply with quote

I have lowered my TC 1" and it looks like I could buy a 12" X 18" piece of 1/4" sheet metal and just bolt in onto the crossmember and extend it rearward to protect the TC. It might need a slight bend (which I can easily take care of). From there, I was thinking about just leaving it be, however if it feels or looks weak, I'll weld in a 1x1 tube to the frame from the opposite end of the sheetmetal.

Has anyone tried this yet? I think it would be a whole lot cheaper than buying the stuff online.

Ideas?

[img]http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?UAUTOLOGIN_ID=35395816205&collid=35395816205.548036308405.1172971146829&photoid=544136308405&folderid=0&view=1&page=1&sort_order=&albumsperpage=&navfolderid=2007[/img]
cooperZJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: this is my jeep Reply with quote

[img]javascript:ShowImage('/member_pages/show_image.pl?image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2585000-2585999/2585122_1_full.jpg[/img]

not sure if this will work....
majikxms

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try This

cherokeeonly425

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish mine was a v8 Twisted Evil
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go ahead and try it
cooperZJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

I was actually wanting more than encouragement. lol

Just wondered if anyone has tried it themselves.
cooperZJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: I'll prob try it Reply with quote

This looks so simple I have to try it. I'll let ya'll know when its done and post pics.
cooperZJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Finished today. Reply with quote

This was so simple and it only took about 2 hours, start to finish. Next time it would go even faster. I bought the supplies for a grand total of $15. Here's the pics. Also in the pic, I removed may cat and put in a straight pipe, sounds great. Plus there's no emitions check in Augusta GA.

I know I should have used thicker sheet metal, but it was only $10 and way better than nothing there at all.

Note the bends I put into the sheet metal to make it fit nice. There's about 1/4 inch of space between the tc and the skidplate.

That's overspray from the spray paint. I sprayed after I put it on. The 1x1" tubing was cut at 45' angles and a L bracket mounted to the frame

I highly recommend this to anyone who is half way competent with a welder. I have little experience and did this with an Arc welder.
viper24242

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats so simple it makes me wish I had a welder. Crying or Very sad

Next you should try to build some rocker protection. I think it would almost be as easy as making that skid. Just some rectangular square metal tube with two metal tubes that come off of that mount to the frame. It would be so easy, but since I have no welder, its so out of reach.

It looks so easy!
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
cooperZJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: I actually Reply with quote

Yeah, that's next on my list. I actually have those pics on my computer and have sketched out the plans. Cost is the only prohibition here. They sell 2x4 tubing only in longer lengths than I need. 24' i think. But, yeah, that's the next fabrication project. I also want some lockers for my D35 rear, but, I know I eventually want to do an axle swap, so I might hold off for a bit.

About a welder- you can get em used or buy a cheap one like I did from Wal-Mart for $100. Includes helmet, gloves, sticks and brush. Works on 120V too. It has already paid for it's self.

Thanks.
hieyeq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: I actually Reply with quote

cooperZJ wrote:
Yeah, that's next on my list. I actually have those pics on my computer and have sketched out the plans. Cost is the only prohibition here. They sell 2x4 tubing only in longer lengths than I need. 24' i think. But, yeah, that's the next fabrication project. I also want some lockers for my D35 rear, but, I know I eventually want to do an axle swap, so I might hold off for a bit.

About a welder- you can get em used or buy a cheap one like I did from Wal-Mart for $100. Includes helmet, gloves, sticks and brush. Works on 120V too. It has already paid for it's self.

Thanks.

Hey just make two or three sets and sell the extras on here Very Happy to recoup costs.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to need some bracing on the skid if you plan on wheeling with that. The 1/4" will bend under the weight of the vehicle if you don't add some bracing to the backside.
cooperZJ

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: your right! Reply with quote

After I uploaded these pics, I went out and tested it. Bent right away. So I banged it out straight again and added some bracing to the upper part of the skid- including .25 angle iron and then I moved the skid more to the driver's side so the part coming down from the frame was welded to the middle of the plate at the rear. Then, I added another brace from that tube to the plate. I also slid the plate forward of the crossmember and bent the plate upward at a 45' angle to help "slide" over the rocks and stuff.

This new setup seems to be the strongest. It survived Telico and some wild rutted trails around Augusta and Atlanta.

If anyones interested, I'll upload a pic. But, your right ,you need to weld some serious metal to the back of the plate or it WILL bend.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see some pics!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: