Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how important are lockers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
langston

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: how important are lockers? Reply with quote

im regearin to 488s, so while im down there i know it would be easier and right timin to put in a locker. however im not too excited about spending another $300+. how important are they, how much do they help. this is my dd, and i do mild trails, ive never gone rock climbing although i figure i might do it once or twice in a few years. thanks
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you describe, I don't think you'll need lockers and they aren't very critical to what you say you'll be doing offroad. However, even something like a limited slip will help you while offroad. I would look at installing TruTrac LSD while you're having the gears setup.

Installing traction aiding devices, like a locker or limited slip, is recommended when regearing due to the labor involved in a gear setup. They aren't cheap...averaging about $250 per axle. You can spend a little more money now to add a traction device or spend a lot more later when you add a traction device in the future. Doing either requires an expensive gear setup. You'll save about $500 or more by doing everything up front the first time.
langston

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, if if put a trutrac in the rear (d44) will i still need to get a new carrier (going from 373 to 488)?
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TruTracs are a full case design as opposed to a "lunchbox" locker which is installed inside an open carrier. This means you'll be replacing the carrier if you go with a TruTrac. This is one of the best limited slips though because it will never wear out. There are no clutch packs to wear like a TracLock or other friction based LSD. The TruTrac is gear driven.

The carrier break on a D44 is at 3.73/3.92. Meaning there is one carrier 3.73 and below and a second carrier from 3.92 and above. To go from 3.73 to 4.88, you will need a new carrier (i.e. the correct TruTrac).
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you do know you need to regear both axles at the same time or you can not use 4wd until the same gear ratio is installed in both axles.
langston

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i did know that thanks. so just for clarification, i wont need to order a new carrier, because if i get the trutrac it will replace/subsitute the old carrier, just make sure i get the corresponding size to go with d44 and 488s?
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. The Trutrac is a new carrier.
V7Sport73

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Locker on your Jeep Reply with quote

You ask how important are they? I have the 2006 Rubicon equipped with the air lockers. I normally drive it on mild trails. I can tell you they do make a real difference. Many times I got stuck and then engaged the air lockers. With the axles locked the Jeep came right out. In my opinion they are absolutely worth the extra $300.00 bucks.
nixt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did your jeep come with lockers or are they aftermarket ARB airlockers? If they are ARB's, where the hell did you find ARB's for $300? I've never seen them that cheap unless you're not including the compressor and the miscellaneous hoses and other stuff.
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
dsgodda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rubicon comes standard with air lockers similar to ARBs, but they run at lower pressure (5 psi) and each locker has its own air pump mounted on the top of the transfer case skid plate.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly Mild trails you would never need lockers, however when a mild trail becomes a muddy or rocky trail lockers can make a world of difference. For the price of installing lockers with your gears your going to save more money than re-installing lockers later.

Lockers keep you from getting stuck and the winch gets you out when you are stuck.

What does a winch have to do with this thread? Well in the end your going to consider one because your mild trails are going to be less mild as you grow with your Jeep. I have a winch and lockers and I can honestly say I've used my front and rear lockers more times than I've ever used my winch.
Jeep_addict

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As important as breathing air!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: