Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

99 Grand Cherokee - Tranny Problem?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rossmacdonald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: 99 Grand Cherokee - Tranny Problem? Reply with quote

Hey,

New to the forum. Just bought my first Cherokee. Lovin it, except:

99 Grand Cherokee Laredo..... got lots of work done on it to bring it up to par, then today, while sitting idling, the rpms jump up about 500 rpm....

And before you say flush the tranny fluid, here's what I had done two days ago......

New Serpentine Belt
New seal on transfer case
New seal on Rear Diff
New cover on rear axle
Tranny Flush
Brake fluid Flush
New rear rotors
Serviced Driveshaft....

So cruising now along at 100 km/h and the rpms jump from 1500 to 2000, and when slowing down, etc, the gear downs in the tranny (auto) are rough....clunk.....

Dang did I buy a lemon? Or did the shop who did the work screw up the tranny? Maybe my serp belt is slipping? Any ideas? thx.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would look at a throttle position sensor or Idle air controller but since i don't know what engine you have i can't say much more

sometimes a tranny flush can bust apart the clutch disks and do more damage then good (in a higher millage transmission)

did it run poorly before the transmission flush?
Tardis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trans flush will loosen up every piece of crud in a trans. Then the crud gets pumped through the whole thing. If any clutch disks were glazed, the trans will slip, and shift erratically with fresh fluid. Another thing I mention to people with ZJ/WJ's is to test for a faulty/weak Governor Pressure Switch, and Governor Pressure Solenoid. Those parts are common failure points in the 42/44RE's. A bad/weak torque converter will cause shifting issues too.

It sounds more like the new fluid is causing the shift problems. Run the truck around for a week or so before you tear into it again. Sometimes just running a vehicle will fix shift problems after a fluid change. My XJ had a similar problem. I ran it easy for a week, and it's been fine ever since. You'd be surprised at how well dirty tranny fluid really works. It's loaded with clutch pack material which grips like a S.O.A.B. Take the friction material filled fluid away, and you end up with a slushbox trans. The reason you're supposed to change trans fluid is because it thermally breaks down and doesn't cool the trans the way it should anymore. The filter usually gets the dirt so that's not a big issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: