Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beachcrawler ZJ Flip-up Monitor Installation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeachCrawler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Beachcrawler ZJ Flip-up Monitor Installation Reply with quote

This is my Hybrid flip-up screen for ZJs. If you need touch screen this mod is not for you. However this setup allows you to have the head unit of your choice and add the flip screen above it. I used off the shelf parts that are available to everyone. The beauty of the design is that I did not move my a/c controls, vents, etc. Everything in this mod is plug and play. However I did need to notch the top of the dash cover 1/8 just above the monitor in order the get the dash cover over the monitor and head unit. The front of the montitor is finished plastic but I covered the exposed portion of the monitor case with rattle can truck bet liner add texture.

Parts needed:
1 din Head unit with DVD or CD
din flip-up monitor (Pyle PLTVD7.5N with built-in TV tuner or PLTV7.5din without TV tuner)
Scosche FC1235B 1-1/2 din mounting kit.

Wiring harness and usual head unit installation stuff.

The 96-98 will require more overhang than the 93-95. My monitor is mounted 2 forward of the mounting kit not including the that is part of the screen that is at the front of the monitor when it is closed. When mounting the monitor in the kit do not let the screws on the side go deeper than 1/8 or the mount will not open. Ask me how I know.

Notice how the front the head unit is mounted past the face of the kit. You need that space so that the dash cover can slide under the head unit and touch the face of the mounting kit.

I used plastic spacers because I was too lazy to go buy shorter screws.

I used a file to make the mounting holes on the front of the mounting kit bigger so that I could line up the mounting kit with the front cover. In some spots the dash cover is covering only a 1/16th of an inch on the mounting kit. I expanded the screw holes in the mounting kit so that I could move it around a trial fit the dash cover. The bigger holes let me move the kit around until it was completely covered by dash cover. I was able to install all of the dash cover screws expect the one directly above the monitor on the far right.

The monitor has a move feature that can be adjusted forward and back with 3 positions. The monitor can be set to open close to the case or away from the case. I think the longest in about 1-1/2.

Other than not having touch screen capabilities which I dont need because I use a Garmin PDA for navigation, this is the perfect flip-up monitor for me. I selected the JVC Arsenal AVR6270 Head Unit because it had DVD, CD, VCD, MP3, Giga DVD, USB port, etc. I havent tested it, but Im sure the usb port will power the Garmin GPS and free up my dataport.

I hope you find this information helpful.
nori

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... and for the older interior ZJ style, you can fit a double din unit in a 1 1/2 din slot with minor dremmeling...

like so...

Alpine IVA-W200 Mr. Green this mod is for touchscreen.
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much did u pay for that thing?
nori

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IVA-200? not cheap, I got it for $1050 Sad if you want hands-free dialing, rearview camera, GPS, ipod/mp3/wma/cd/dvd/satellite radio all in one unit, this unit makes it easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Projects & Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: