Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

97 Grand Cherokee starting issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
589Outlaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: 97 Grand Cherokee starting issues Reply with quote

My ZJ would not start yesterday afternoon. It was running fine when I parked it two days ago. The battery seemed low judging by the sound of the engine turning over. So, I went ahead and put the battery charger on it and left it for a few hours. When I got back the turning over was definitely stronger, but it would not start. After a few tries without using the gas pedal, I did use it and it started, but immediately died. Thereafter it would start every time with the use of gas but it dies if I don't keep it slightly revved up. The check engine light is now on. Then my brother followed a loud ticking noise that hadn't been there before. It is coming from a small little piece that is mounted to the sidewall of the engine compartment on the driver side above the wheelwell. It has a connection on one end going back to the throttlebody and another which looks like a vent line going underneath the headlight. Does anyone know what this thing is and why it started ticking? I don't know how it relates to the starting problem either. I would have thought maybe my alternator was going out. Any ideas on either part of this issue? Thanks.

Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That clicking is normal, it's an emissions thingy Cool . I would look at the fuel pressure, sounds like your fuel pump might be shot. Have your brother get under the rear and listen for the fuel pump to turn on when you turn the key to the on position. Then see if turns on when you try to start. Then check the fuel rail pressure valve to see if there is fuel in there.
jarhead5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue with 01 Grand Cherokee about a month ago. I had my rig on jackstands for a weekend with the hood up running the under hood light. After I wrapped up my repairs, I started it up and it ran just fine. The next day I tried to start it and it would turn over but not start. If I reved the engine while starting it, it would start up but would die unless I kept giving it gas. Turned out my battery was bad. Bought a battery and problem solved. How old's your battery? I also thought that maybe the alternator was going bad, glad I got the battery checked first.
589Outlaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I finally got it to start on its own accord yesterday. I took it straight to AutoZone and had the battery and alternator checked out. The battery tested fine but the alternator was "overcharging." So, I went ahead and got a new one - 120 amp - and put it in. Now it starts up first time everytime. So, I hope that it is fixed. *knock on wood* lol I guess we will see.
nori

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knock on wood hard... lol it's Jeep, you never know when the vehicle is going to ask for more attention again rofl ... and money for a new purse, i mean parts.

I'm glad to see that the problem is resolved and not the fuel pump issue as I'm currently trying to replace it myself.

Why does fuel pump go bad so easily? is it caused by the dirty fuel filter?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: