Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How reliable are 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sports?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: How reliable are 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sports? Reply with quote

i'm looking into getting a 2001 jeep cherokee sport in beautiful condition with 71,000 miles. Its red/4.0liter/auto(bummer i know, but its sooo nice)/sport model/"boxy" body style.........we all know these engines last forever and a day but my dad said the car itself falls apart and is not very reliable....how reliable as a daily driver is this thing? oh yeah, its two wheel drive.........thanks
boog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay..so i did even more research and it sounds like i am going to do that tranny cooler mod for sure(60 bucks sounds like a great deal to me!)...aslo, what kind of fluids can i use in this thing? can i run full synthetic anywhere or should i stick with mineral or what? i'll def. change out the rear diff and tranny and engine after i get it.....is there anything else i should do after getting it to make sure it is running up to snuff?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, it's a JEEP not a car. They are very reliable. This is a Cherokee forum, I don't think anyone would down them. I'm sure everyone here is in love with there JEEPS . I would say to go for it and purchase the vehicle, but why waste your money on a 2WD. Sure with minor fabbing and part swapping it could be 4WD. Why not just buy a 4WD?
IBTJn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does your dad get his information from? He's flat out wrong in my opinion. We have a '95 XJ that we've owned since new. It's got pushing 175k miles on it...and it's the wife's daily driver. We have had little to no trouble with it, but also service it regularly. Oh, did I mention she wheels it too? Many on the forum here use their Jeeps for what they were designed for...wheelin'. Very Happy

And yea, I agree...don't waste your money on a 2WD...unless of course it's never going to be used for anything fun. And nothing wrong with Red IMO. Wink
IndyMatt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 91 with just under 182k on the clock. I just had an oil sample tested from the engine. Absolutely incredible condition.

As for reliability as a daily driver? Well, I put the Volvo in the garage and use the Jeep. Sure, it's got some issues...but it's old. ANY vehicle will have minor issues over time.

My Jeep is also 2WD but the price was right. I was told that if I could get it out of where it was parked for 4.5 years then I could have it. So I replaced the battery, replaced the starter, put in fresh gas, air the tires, started it and drove away.
boog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha....you guys/gals/whoever rock!

anyways, im getting two wheel drive because i am 20 so the insurance would be noticably more with 4x4 and it will mostly just be a road queen and i am moving out on my own at the same time so i just need reliable transportation and mostly just because i stumbled upon it and it was singing my name when i saw it!!..haha, that and it is unbelievably clean!!

if its sold by the time i get to the dealer tonight then i guess i am not getting it..haha...i would def. love a 4x4 but its my parents money and they are being good enough to replace my 1984 mazda rx7(which is falling apart at the seems) so i will take mostly anything i can get....ill post pics soon if i get it k!? Wink
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthetics can produce oil leaks . you usually get about 300 000 km out of the engines before they need a rebuild or at least that is how my two 4.0L's are . reliable sort of , on one hand it doesn't take much to make it go and they don't break down but they sure can blow seals . shitty about the 2wd , it will probably go forever if you leave it on the road. or not
brent bartman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont throw the gears on the auto tranny change ur fluids when recommend and take general care of her she'll run longer than u will my jeeps a 92 with 117000 and it runs like a champ... the only problem i had is with the chain on the transfer case stretching and my throttle cable breaking because i fudged it up so both problems are by human error
AFE cold air
jet chips TBS
4 inch rustys spring pack
32 TSL (more like street slicks)
IndyMatt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brent bartman wrote:
my jeeps a 92 with 117000 and it runs like a champ...

Ahhh, just getting broken in!!
IndyMatt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad The Best wrote:
synthetics can produce oil leaks .

synthetics do not produce leaks. Bad maintenance practices on an engine for many years and miles produces leaks. Synthetics simply identify those bad practices.

Oil analysis is what I do for a living and have been doing for the past 15 years. Many misunderstandings about the whole synthetic oil and leaks issue.
boog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, so i just got back, the car was listed for 7900 but the actual price was 9900...my budget is 7000(figured i'd talk em down a little)..........................anywyas, maybe i can find a 4x4 5 speed now...it seems like 5 speeds are hard to find tho, are they better or worse reliabilty wise compared to the autos?...also, are the three speed auto trannys noticably suckier than the fours or is it not that bad?...sorry to bombard you with questions....thanks
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndyMatt wrote:
Brad The Best wrote:
synthetics can produce oil leaks .

synthetics do not produce leaks. Bad maintenance practices on an engine for many years and miles produces leaks. Synthetics simply identify those bad practices.

Oil analysis is what I do for a living and have been doing for the past 15 years. Many misunderstandings about the whole synthetic oil and leaks issue.

synthetic oils don't swell seals like normal oils do , some times giving you a leak that you didn't have running your normal oil's. a vehicle with 70, 000 really shouldn't leak though .

i have a 5 speed and and two aw4's never had a problem with ether .
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a reliable vehicle, definitely get a Cherokee. I have owned two, and my brother owns one. The only problems I have noticed that will leave you stranded is the crank position sensor. For some reason, they go out frequently on 4.0L engines. So buy an extra and keep it in your glove box. The only other problem I see with the Cherokees is that the whole electrical wiring system for all the parts like, gauges, power windows, door locks, etc., seems to be a bit on the light side, so you might have a problem with a short or bad switch. But it will always get you home.

As for getting a 5-speed manual or a 4-speed automatic, I think Cherokees had better luck with the later 4-speed automatices. From my personal experience, my automatic is much better than my manual was. The manual was from an '89 Cherokee. It was really loose and floppy, and the clutch was not that great and expensive to fix. Now I have a '98 Cherokee with the AW4 automatic. This transmission is reliable and feels tight. I don't like the way that it combines first and second gear in the manual selection though. But I have overheated this automatic twice, once pulling a much to heavy trailer and the other rocketing up a long, steep, freeway hillclimb, and it is still going strong (after changing fluid and filter, of course).

So, I guess my point is that regardless of what people say, Cherokees have the reputation for being reliable for a reason. An engine that won't quit, a tough little transmission, a strong yet light transfer case, and solid axles all combine to make this vehicle a reliable grocery getter that can offroad as well as any other stock vehicle out there (minus the new Rubicons of course).

Oh, and if you want to see how much abuse the suspension can take without needing an alignment, check out this post... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2523112/7
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said
brent bartman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my only problem is to fit 35 it takes like 6 inchs of lift and fender trimming if jeep woulda went with a frame and body instead of the unibody they would of been 100% on the money but other than that davidxj was right the only problem ive had is my electric seat motors shorting out but when i put in my APC racing seats i was good...but you coulda take my jeep light it on fire,roll it down a hill, and push it in a lake and i woulda change the fluids and filter and run her for another 100,000 miles
AFE cold air
jet chips TBS
4 inch rustys spring pack
32 TSL (more like street slicks)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: