Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4.0 valve cover gasket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IndyMatt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: 4.0 valve cover gasket Reply with quote

I have a 91 Cherokee with 181k miles. There has been a leak for quite some time and I just replaced the valve cover gasket this past weekend. Just a simple cork Fel-Pro gasket was used. I torqued all the cover bolts appropriately. Here are my issues:

1. The gasket did not really seat around the cover properly. There seemed to be areas where the gasket was really too wide for the section itself...for example, the gasket actually extends a small bit over some of the bolt holes AND it extends past the cover in other areas.

2. There still is a leak on the back driver's side corner of the gasket. Again, all bolts have been properly torqued.

Is this a common issue with these engines and the Fram gaskets or did I just get a bum gasket?

Should I spend the money on the perma-dry gaskets (approx $50)?

Thanks- Matt
xjnuts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep used silicone. The stuff in a tube. The after market gaskets are usually good. Is your valve cover cast aluminum? stamped metal? or the plastic. I've heard the plastic and stamped metal covers distort over time. This could be why it is still leaking. Also check you PVC gromet, oil fill and breather gromets. Oil will find its way around these if they are old and hard. This can give the illussion that the cover is leaking because the oil will run back and drip off the cover.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjnuts wrote:
Jeep used silicone. The stuff in a tube. The after market gaskets are usually good. Is your valve cover cast aluminum? stamped metal? or the plastic. I've heard the plastic and stamped metal covers distort over time. This could be why it is still leaking. Also check you PVC gromet, oil fill and breather gromets. Oil will find its way around these if they are old and hard. This can give the illussion that the cover is leaking because the oil will run back and drip off the cover.

agreed , i just used some permetex rtv copper on mine absolutely no leaks , i also cleaned the gromets it works like a dream no leaks at all . just make sure you put on enough RTV . you don't need to use the copper stuff but it was all i had
brent bartman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah when i put new valves on my moms van i spent a good 45 mintues with acetone to clean the mating surface where to old gasket has suck to it. and on the heads is a good idea when cleaning the surface on that to use a vacum to prvent anything fromt falling in....
AFE cold air
jet chips TBS
4 inch rustys spring pack
32 TSL (more like street slicks)
IndyMatt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the words all.

I did read in the manual where it said to use a 1/8 bead of sealant and that just didn't seem right.

I have the cast aluminum head.

It isn't leaking around the grommets. It was a definitely leak from the gasket. I could see the very small occasional oil bubble.

I'll remove the gasket this weekend and use high-temp permatex sealant.

thanks

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: