Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's Jumpin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZJ stocks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: It's Jumpin Reply with quote

94 ZJ When it's wet out and I put it in 4wheel full time eveything goes in just fine. Down the road fine. But when it comes to take a sharp corner at slow speed it feels like the front wheels get out of time or something. On rough road you can't tell a thing. Looked at and gave the front u joints a twist and on initial inspection all looks OK. Any idea's would be appreciated! 175 K. Still feels tight!
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure it's a full-time ZJ? If you put in 4wheel part-time, the front will bind up on asphault, even if it's wet. If it's part-time, you should only use it off road, if it's full-time, I don't know why it'd be binding.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what dose ur drive selection say dose it go

2WD--4HIGH--N--4LOW

or

4FULL TIME--4LOW

if it is the first than u got a 242 and i dont know what the problem is.

if it is the second then u got a 249 T-case and ur visciouss coupler is fried.

i dont know, use the search feature and check the fourms.
kaos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2WD--4HIGH--N--4LOW
[...]
4FULL TIME--4LOW

if it is the first than u got a 242 and i dont know what the problem is.
if it is the second then u got a 249 T-case and ur visciouss coupler is fried.

Actually, I think the first pattern is for a 231 case. A 242 should be:
2wd-4part-4full-N-4low
The 4high position of the 231 is a part time 4wd, and, as monkeyman said, will cause the symptoms described.

HTH
--
Kári in Iceland
ZJ stocks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: It's Jumpin Reply with quote

Thanks for the help I should have given some more info. It's a 4.0 with a 242 Select Trax. No hang up in the linkage. Do not use part time on the road. Only the full time selection when it starts to get nasty out and if I haven't used it for awhile. Like I said its OK going straight but once I start in a corner at slow speeds it almost feels like the front u joints are binding. Any help appreciated Thanks!
Horus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ZJ had the 249 when I got it and experienced all the common binding during sharp parking lot turns as the VC slowly died. A 242 was swapped in and of course 2wd = smooth, car-like tight turns. I drove it in Awd right away and there much less binding in a tight turn but it was still there to some degree. Enough so that you may go,"whoa."

And then the Aussie locker was installed in the 44a rear diff. Well after enjoying the heck out of driving a 3800 lb V8 powered vehicle with 2wd and a locker I finally gave the Awd a shot. Bam, all the bind of the 249 was back with a vengence. Maybe this is why they don't recommend installing a locker in an Awd only ZJ. What ever the 242 does in place of the VC in the 249 causes my locker to stay locked. It also produces a kind of bucking in the front end as I'm say, pulling out of a parking space. The rear becomes a spool, and I never have a problem with the Aussie in 2wd on the street, anywhere.

If you have a locker the 242 in Awd sucks, Making a good point for a 231 swap. If you don't have a locker the 242 in Awd sucks. By the time you need the traction you should be in 4wd anyway. I rainy conditions the Awd only makes you accelerate faster, but not stop any quicker.
viper24242

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure once I get my 242 popped in I would probably only use the 4w hi in ice, snow, and off road. Of course by my understanding you should only use 4 part time on the raod and 4 full time in the dirt. At least thats my understanding.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other way around Viper. 4 part-time is for the dirt. 4 full time is for the road, because 4 full time is AWD, not technically 4-wheel drive.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
nori

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/Articles/index.cfm/act/featuredarticles/article/your-ride-4wd-vs-awd-cga.html

now I'm totally confused... rofl
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: