Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

relocate the intake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brent bartman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: relocate the intake Reply with quote

im thinking it would be cool and mabey even benifical to run my intake into the cab it sounds kinda tuhgt if u ask me like some how intigrate it with my ac vents HA HA true cold air intake.... but i dunno a little idea i was thinking up today it woulda also kinda work as a snorkel....wouldnt it....
AFE cold air
jet chips TBS
4 inch rustys spring pack
32 TSL (more like street slicks)
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be extremely loud ,and wouldn't use the vehicle speed to force air in the engine .

but it would work like a snorkel , your better off with just a snorkel
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A conical air filter and snorkel, hands down, is the best way to handle proper airflow in an offroading vehicle.

A: You get TRUE, COLD AIR going into the engine rather than hotter air from the engine manifold.

B: You get a functioning snorkel in the process, which greatly reduces the chance of H2O seizure when crossing deep waterways.

C: With some forethought, you can build your snorkel and air system yourself for $25 - $50, saving you hundreds of dollars in the process, as well as tailoring the look more to what you want (if that's important to you).

Plus, by adding other mods like improved throttle body and such, you get more performance out of your engine than normal. It's one of the many mods I'm planning in my heep. Mr. Green

brent bartman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but i got 4 8 inch emience close balcks 2 selenium horns and a 3000 watt amp so theres so hearing the little ol intake
AFE cold air
jet chips TBS
4 inch rustys spring pack
32 TSL (more like street slicks)
kaos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you could do what I did. Inspired by macb's "Jeep 4.0L Cold Air Cowl Vent Intake" article (http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/cowl.html), I decided to do the same to my '93 XJ. I wasn't so much concerned with the temperature of the intake air, as I was with wether it actually was air and not water that the engine was breathing!

The effects:
-Height of intake. There is a world of difference between "just in front of the windshield" and "right behind the headlight". However, if you plan on doing deep water exploration, a snorkel is advisable.
-No visible change. This was important in my case, as I mistrusted my skills to make a reasonably decent looking snorkel.
-No wind noise. I don't know whether this actually is a problem with snorkels, but the possibility was one reason that I opted for this solution.
-Minimal engine noise change. This was a point that worried me beforehand, but the only difference that I found was that I think there is slightly more noise at wide open throttle. The difference is very small, however.
-No discernible effect on power, neither positive or negative.

Construction points:
-Material. I used a form of PVC pipes that are commonly used here in Iceland for drains. They incorporate a rubber seal at the end, which makes fine adjustments of the layout easy. It should also be possible to make this with the kind of glued-together PVC pipes that I have seen described in various snorkel writeups. I used three 45° angles, one ca. 1 foot long straight pipe (I bought a much longer one and cut it to size), and one short straight pipe through the firewall (made with part of the cutoff).
-Holes. I made the holes in the air cleaner box and the firewall by drilling a set of smaller holes in a circle, cutting between them, and then filing the edge until it was even and fitted tightly around the pipes. This was easy with the relatively soft plastic of the air cleaner box, but quite a bit harder with the firewall. A holecutter and/or dremel would have been nice. Note that as the pipe goes through the firewall at an angle, that hole will need to be ellipsoid rather than circular. I didn't bother with any kind of flanges or other mounting hardware at the holes; just made them tight fitting around the pipes, and then used silicone sealant to both seal and secure the pipes.
-Routing. If your car has ABS and/or manual transmission, the routing I used may be impossible. Also note that I had to remove a sticker detailing the vacuum hose layout in the engine bay, that was on the firewall right where I wanted to take the intake through.
-Blocking of the old intake. I plugged the old intake from inside the air cleaner box with a piece of styrofoam, cut to size and fixed in place with silicone sealant.

HTH
--
Kári in Iceland
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a cool intake relocation , nice job !

i would still definitely advise against the idea of putting the intake inside the cab , if you want to know how loud it will be take the air box off stick your head over the throttle body and make it hit red line , there is also a chance it will stink .

a home made snorkel or that cowl relocation is what i would recommend .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: